5.0GL-C Crank Position Sensor

JR6424

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

I was curious to know if anyone understands the purpose of the Crank Position Sensor on the 5.0GL-C? I found a wiring diagram for this engine elsewhere on this forum and it does not show the crank position sensor being attached in anyway to the wiring harness, and even on the VP Parts Diagram for the 5.0GL-C under “Notes” for the sensor it actually says “Not connected to engine harness.” Since this is a carbureted engine without an ECU does anyone know what the point of this sensor on this engine is?

Thanks,

JR

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hi All,

I was curious to know if anyone understands the purpose of the Crank Position Sensor on the 5.0GL-C? I found a wiring diagram for this engine elsewhere on this forum and it does not show the crank position sensor being attached in anyway to the wiring harness, and even on the VP Parts Diagram for the 5.0GL-C under “Notes” for the sensor it actually says “Not connected to engine harness.” Since this is a carbureted engine without an ECU does anyone know what the point of this sensor on this engine is?

Thanks,

JR
To plug an oil hole. However most likely not there as there are covers without the crank sensor hole

JR6424

Seaman Apprentice
Hilarious, I should have checked before I went and bought a replacement... My old front cover had one and the VP replacement had the hole for it so I figured it must have been plugged into something... Should have saved the $75 and just fabbed up a block off plate. Thanks for the info!