5.0GI PEFS replacement

GeirAkselsen

Recruit
Upon removing the 5.0GI PEFS engine in a Scand 26, it was concluded that the engine allthough runtime, was to damaged due to corrosion and poor maintenance.
A Chevrolet 350 CI from a Camaro was purchased, torn apart for check, valve job and assembled with some parts from the old 5.0GI PEFS(camshaft, hydraulic roller lifters, valve rods) wich had little wear.
All was going well until we until we got to the intake manifold.
The old manifold(Part.No. 3856270) was fitted with bolts going straigth down into the cylinder head(Nope. didn`t see that one coming)
So we tried the intake manifold originally installed in a Camaro(Part. No. 10166133) which will fit, but there were some differences and we would have to do some modifications and machine a new adaper for the carburettor, and a plate for the EGR valve.
Both intake manifold make use of the Rochester 2B injection system.

Looking at the different intake manifold from Volvo Penta, there are 5 different manifolds(54143076, 54160566 , 54160722, 54160723 and 54160724) with intake bolts angular til the cylinder heads allthough the all look the same on the illustrations.
Link: https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0/part-sections/54160723
Question. Are those intake manifolds compatible, and would it be ok to use them ?

The non-preferable option as i see it, would be to overhaul the old heads(resurface, valve job) and make use of the old intake manifold

Comments and help higly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard.

second. the camaro engine should not be used for many reasons

you can use the block and crank. if you want to be down on power, use the heads. Do not use the camshaft, damper, pistons, rods, intake, starter, or anything else.

you also have to change the core plugs to brass, change the head gaskets to marine, and use a marine water pump

you should have gotten a motor from a 1996-2000 truck which is closer to what you need and would have had the correct camshaft and rotating assembly.

do not use a non marine intake. even in fresh water, it will corrode to nothing. no, do not use it.

you also can not use the small chamber / small valve 5.0 heads on a 5.7 as you will push the CR ratio up so high the motor will detonate so badly it will eat itself.

in any event, you are mixing generations of parts. your 5.0 VP motor is a 1996 or later vortec motor. sounds like the camaro motor is a mid 80's (as TBI went away in the camaros quickly)

I would get a 1996 or later truck motor and heads. if you want to keep your block, etc you should run vortec heads to go with the original VP manifold. since this is a TBI unit, you will also run into the motor running lean unless you remap the ECM.

GeirAkselsen

Recruit
Thanx for swift answer.
But i`m using the original car engine as is only replacing the original cam with the camshaft, hydraulic roller lifters, valve rods from the 5.0(305CU).
And thus the question on intake manifolds.
Will this solution crash, sink the boat or otherwise give me hell, i will try to find another solution, but these engines are hard to come by here.
And the guy who owns the boat is trying to save some money :-(

Adding a comparison table that i used when searching for parts.

Attachments

• Engine Swap data.jpg
    Engine Swap data.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can not use the 5.0 heads on the Camaro motor

You can not use the Camaro intake manifold, water pump, accessories, heads, etc at all. Throw them away

I would advise against the Camaro pistons and rods

You will need different heads to use the VP intake which is for vortec heads

You will need different intake to use the Camaro heads (non vortec )

The VP ECM will need reprogramming with the 5.7

Your table is wrong with regards to the heads.

Last edited: