5.0 GXI-g won't start

Dinahmoehumm

Cadet
2008 5.0 GXI-g won't start. Engine turns, but won't light off. Smell of fuel from the engine bay after start attempt. The issue began with an idle problem (hunting and surging), progressed to a very high idle (above 1,000 RPM), and then each successive start attempt became harder and harder until I arrived here, which is as described at the beginning of this paragraph. My local wrench suggests the sensor (Volvo part number 3843750), commonly referred to as the "IAC." This sensor mounts to the side of the throttle body with one screw, and has a connector for the wiring harness. A couple of places in town have it, and it runs over $200.00. An expensive part to buy and be wrong about. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dinah

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0 GXI-g won't start

Did your local wrench troubleshoot the engine or did you just ask him what he thought?

Have you checked the fuel filter to see if there is water in it? Do you have spark? When was the last tuneup?
Have you hooked it up to a scan tool to see if there are any fault codes?

Technologic80

Seaman

Do some investigative work (ie google)- I bought my IAC at Advance Auto Parts for $30. It was a DELCO part, the same exact one that came off my 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3 Gi (TBI) engine!! I brought my old one with my when I picked up the new one at AAP, and even the part numbers on the plastic were identical. West Marine wanted $164 for the Sierra equivalent. Talk about highway robbery. Do NOT pay $200 for it, thats ridiculous.

NoExcuses

Seaman

I can't say I've had the exact problems with my 5.0 GXi-E but I have to deal with a high pressure fuel pump replacement, clogged fuel pressure regulator, dirty fuel injectors and just last weekend a faulty fuel pump relay . The symptoms for first three items were a whining/hot high pressure fuel pump, high pressure on the fuel rail and loss of power/backfiring while at wide open throttle. The faulty relay would allow the engine to crank but not turn over.