5.0 gxi-e Fuel Pump Issues?

ingham01952

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 28, 2023
Messages
79
2004 vista 288 with dual 5.0 gxi-e motors and Carter hem fuel pumps. starboard engine had a few instances of not starting easily and I've noticed how quiet it was compared to port.
  • This will be the first issue I've had all season. I started both engines and noticed the starboard engine shut off shortly after starting. It fired right back up, so I went for a ride. At the town dock, the starboard engine wouldn’t restart. I opened the hatch and found the fuel pump wasn’t turning on. The fuse on top of the engine looked fine, so I pressed down on the relays and fuses to make sure they were seated. After that, the pump came on, but it sounded quiet and sputtery compared with the port pump.
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,592
Remove the relays and clean the contacts. The relays are cheap and can be found at the local auto parts store.
 

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
May 28, 2002
Messages
189
alldodge suggestion is what I would first check, the relays.

Have a 2007 with 5.0 GXi and it quit starting last summer with little warning.

There is a relay center located on top of motor on mine and there are 5 relays using just 2 part #'s. Trouble shooting finally led me to the fuel pump relay after swapping the relays around the pump came back to life at key on.
 

ingham01952

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 28, 2023
Messages
79
alldodge suggestion is what I would first check, the relays.

Have a 2007 with 5.0 GXi and it quit starting last summer with little warning.

There is a relay center located on top of motor on mine and there are 5 relays using just 2 part #'s. Trouble shooting finally led me to the fuel pump relay after swapping the relays around the pump came back to life at key on.
hello, thank you. and you noticed a sound difference before you did this?
 
Top