5.0 GLPWTR spec question- power steering pump ATF capacity

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Does anyone (Don?) have a link to a manual which would contain the fluid specs, specifically the reservoir capacity for the power steering pump, on a 5.0 GLPWTR? I followed the links in the sticky area and although they point to some pretty good general maintenance stuff, none speak about the reservoir capacity.

Bottom line is that I've got to replace a high pressure hose and bleed the system and need an idea as to how much ATF I need to buy at the store.
Thanks!

Also, are there any specific steps to bleeding the system or is it as simple as loosening the bleed screw and turning limit to limit a couple of times? I ask because another boat I wprked on had a dual outboard bleeding process that was fairly specific.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0 GLPWTR spec question- power steering pump ATF capacity

With the engine off, fill to the full line with ATF. Operate the steering lock to lock a few times and keep the level up. Then start the engine and repeat the lock to lock. Keep the level on the full mark.

From a completely empty system, .42 gallons. (just under 2 quarts)

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With the engine off, fill to the full line with ATF. Operate the steering lock to lock a few times and keep the level up. Then start the engine and repeat the lock to lock. Keep the level on the full mark.

From a completely empty system, .42 gallons. (just under 2 quarts)

As always, a wealth of information Don thank you. I'm assuming no bleed screw then and just keep the cap off the reservoir and it will bleed the air out?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I keep the cap on when operating the steering, never really tried it with the cap off. Let us know if you blow the fluid out while turning the wheel with the cap off.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but if I leave the cap on how does the air bleed out? Does the air naturally work its way through the lines and out of the "system" and into the reservoir?