4WD boat???

Critr

Cadet
Greetings. I am new here. My sand boat here in Arizona is a 4WD......... :D <br /><br />Planning to move to Knoxville, TN this year, right in the middle of TVA-lake country, and I just gotta have a boat. Leaning toward a small pontoon, to have versatility to trailer it, fish, access hunting areas, and camp on it.<br /><br />Looking at Sun Tracker Bass Buggy. Wondering about the pros and cons of 2-stroke vs another 2 grand for a 4-stroke. Longer life? Quieter? More power? What makes it worth that much more? Or is it??? :confused:

D

DJ

Re: 4WD boat???

Critr,<br /><br />For a pontoon, I would definetely go with a four stroke. Quiet, clean and fuel efficient. Pontoons are no speed demons anyway, so a four stroke is specially suited. If possible, go with the "bigfoot" option if you buy Merc.

Critr

Cadet

Thanks. I did a search, and spent a couple hours reading.<br />Two questions still:<br /><br />1. Is the Merc 2 stroke direct injected?<br /><br />2. I see that the Big Foot is for slower loads, like a pontoon. But what is the diff between it and a regular motor? Just different prop? Diff torque curve?

D

DJ

Critr,<br /><br />I do not believe the Merc is DFI for an engine under 75 hp. Anything labeled "Optimax" is a two stroke DFI. Anything that is four stroke under 100 hp. I believe is carbureted. Yamaha manufactures most of Mercs. four strokes (powerhead only).<br /><br />The "bigfoot" actually has a different gearcase that has the added features.<br /><br />1. Lower gear ratio.<br />2. Larger exhaust outlet, allows for larger dia. prop.<br /><br />They really are the only way to go on a pontoon. They will actually be faster than a reguler engine on a pontoon and will improve handling, especially at slow speeds.<br /><br />I envy you moving to that area. I am also in AZ.

Critr

Cadet

Thanks djohn. Things with motors sure have changed in the last several years!<br /><br />One more question. Are signature photos not allowed. I bracket it with UBB code....<br /><br />It works on other UBB sites. Why not here?<br /><br />Oopps!! Never mind. I found it. "UBBCode Images not permitted."

Critr

Cadet

Maybe I can get my photo to show someplace else.........

Critr

Cadet

Still no good. Looks like my internet address for my photo is too long to be accepted (the "pg" at the end gets cut off).<br /><br />Well, heck!!! Here it is anyway!!!<br /><br />
fdf76191.jpg

Fishbusters

Ensign

If you have never owned a toon be prepared for 2 shocks 1 all the room you now have and 2 how slow does it actually go? With the wife and two girls 6 and 7 1/2 the room goes prety quick but the toon still does not. It does not go any slower either or at least that I noticed. Also toons are not shallow water orented so fof duck hunting especially you may want to use the toon as sort of a base camp and a smaller boat towed behind as a hunting boat.