4ft chop in 14ft

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 4ft chop in 14ft

She takes them from the beach, we have one of those papparazzi camera lenzes ... lol ..... The waves are in the surf by the beach, that is where we practise, the boat only runs in about 1,5 foot of water so you can do a quick turn before you land up on the beach .... the waves start quite far in from the beach so there is a bit of stretch to ride in .... this was taken in Blouberg Beach in Cape Town, South Africa ....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ok Dee,

You hear about these pessimests worrying about overrevving.

When you took this pic and obviously your engine was in the overrev state, did you hurt anything?

If not, why do you think not.

Mark

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How exactly is chop measured, is it the height of the peak and valley of the wave together, or just the part above the normal water level?

or neither? d:)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A wave is measured from the bottom (trough) to the top (crest). The trough may be below normal calm water level and the crest may be above normal calm water level. In other words, the overall height of the wave is what is measured - there are no adjustments for normal water level.

There are all kinds of waves and all types of conditions that create them. Every now and again I do some reading about them in a book about Oceanography but there is so much involved, just learning the basics can give ya a headache.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Texasmark said:
Ok Dee,

You hear about these pessimests worrying about overrevving.

When you took this pic and obviously your engine was in the overrev state, did you hurt anything?

If not, why do you think not.

Mark

Yes the motor overrevs for that couple of seconds that it is not in the water ... but it is more like cavatating ... see we run these engines at WOT and they are modified in a way to withstand the conditions ... it does hurt the engine, cause they have a very short lifespan when racing it like this, that is why I only use yamaha cause from experiece they last the longest from any other brand that I have tried .... the wear of the motor is obviously much higher than normal conditions, I run them on 25:1 though ..... but if you meant me getting hurt ... I always wear a kidney belt ..... :)

samsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[ the wear of the motor is obviously much higher than normal conditions, I run them on 25:1 though [/quote]

I read on this site or maybe another one that adding more oil than recomended, such as 25/1 versus 50/1, actually did more harm than good. I can't quite remember why, but the reasoning sounded good at the time. I think it was something about the engine running lean, upsetting the air/fuel mixture. Sam

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I'm sure there will be people saying it is bad and others saying it is good, so it will be a agree to disagree situation .... for me running the motor WOT I need that extra lube in the cylenders ...... Mark, come visit in SA i'll take you for a spin .. :)

StuBone278

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, just had to comment on this! I was in a situation similar in a 14ft. (loaded down) jon boat, but it was an inland lake! All of a sudden a huge storm brewed up and my friend and I were 2 miles from the camp, with a 5hp outboard :( Things got rough and we put the life jackets on. We figured the boat could overturn any second! The waves came up to about 3.5 feet and I would have to "surf" the waves at a 45 degree angle to keep the boat from having waves crash! Took a while getting back and the boat took on an inch or 2 of water, but we made it, averaging about 8mph. Talk about a learning experience, we were scared to death!!!:eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

old thread

good for u for using the search stu....

and btw.....welcome to i boats ! :)

I won't repeat everyone else's sentiments, but can relate a personal story. Last September while on a large lake in Minnesota, my path back to the cabin was blocked by a decent sized bay with three foot waves. I chose the dumb route with my 16.5 foot boat, and tried motoring straight into the waves. I jumped from wave top to wave top until we hit a wave so hard that it actually put a couple inch gash in the boat.

When anchored near an island, ran the bilge constantly, and ran with the boat plug out once the waves died down a bit. Never underestimate the power of water. Even on an inland lake, you can be putting your life in jeopardy.

Check out the picture of the gash below:

Attachments

• boat gash.jpg
    boat gash.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0

erikgreen

Captain

What the heck, as long as we're resurrecting an old thread, let's do it right.

Friend of mine in his boat on lake superior, making the trip back west from Isle Royale, ran into some waves. He has a 30 foot Trojan cruiser with twin Chrysler 318s and a flybridge that sits maybe 10 feet above the keel.

The waves were big enough that when he was in the trough between two of them, he couldn't see anything but water ahead. I think he said those were 8-10 footers, but he uses average wave height as a measure.

One of his passengers asked him "Should we turn around?" and his response was "I don't think we can!".

:)

larryo

Seaman Apprentice

Common to see a 4 ft short chop on the Delaware Bay . Anybody with any experience and half a brain stays home or gets home as these conditions develop regardless of size unless there's money involved . Couldn't pay me to go out . Dangerous under 22 ft , uncomfortable in everything else . A short chop is not an ocean swell , throw in fast tide and you're playing with your life. We lose guys every year .

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

NO way I don't take my 20' out in more than 1-2s, it is a stable boat but that is more risk than I am comfortable with. And when they say 1-2s it can always be more. Add in the effects of tide changes and other boat wakes. I always check the weather and the Long Island Sound weather and wave reports before going out.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well back on the subject , tacking i personally think would be they way to go also there is another sailing trick to learn... my dad has a 17ft hobie cat
and when he got it almost 15 years ago he rolled it twice in controlled conditions so he would know how to right it if he did it accidently, i think this whould be the best way to go in the 14 ft aluminum, just roll it over a couple times when there isnt big waves so when there is, youll be a pro at fliping it over, just like a waverunner....j/k but anyone heard of the new gps systems that have text message capabilities and coast guard two ways??? i just saw the commercial, looks like the new thing to have...