48hp Johnson TOUGH to turn / steer

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all - so I made it through the tilt motor replacement and am very pleased with myself. Now it's time to look at the super tight steering. This is roughly a 1990 Johnson 48 SPL tiller control engine. It's been a salt water motor and my guess is it's years of corrosion building up in there. It's been greased and worked as much as possible but it's still a bear to try and turn which makes taking the boat out not a ton of fun. I'm thinking taking on replacement of the bushings might be a bit much to tackle. I don't have an engine hoist and I don't have a clue where to begin. That being said I came across a video of a guy with a Yamaha 225 that the steering was frozen on and he ended up putting PB Blaster in a grease gun and squirting it in the zerk fitting on one side and letting it blow out the other side freeing up all the corrosion inside. It really got me thinking so I went outside to get a closer look at my engine. I like the theory but noticed mine only has zerks on the starboard side. Would it be worth it to give it a try anyway? Thanks for your input!

IMG_3582.JPG

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Yes give it a try with the PB Blaster. I've used it before on steering and it worked.