470 Mercruiser

chunter

Recruit
Does anyone know anything about rebuilding a 470 mercruiser 4 cyl? It froze up and the mechanics turned it over and busted rings, etc. I've heard it's hard to find parts. Is this true? Is there any other motors that will bolt in? Any additional information would be appreciated! It's in a 1984 19' Stingray Cuddy Cabin. Thanks

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 470 Mercruiser

You should be able to get what you need for parts. Also there are rebuilt or used avalible. It just depends on how much you want to spend and where you live. it's hard to give you more info cuuse you didn't put a<br />State down in your profile.<br />...have fun...corm

chunter

Recruit

Corm,<br />I'm live in wyoming. It's actually my cousins boat. He bought it brand new and used it for a couple of years. Then his wife was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. And so they haven't used the boat since. I've been trying to buy off of him for years but up until the last couple he wasn't going to sell it. The motor ran great the last time he used. He said he never had any trouble starting or running it. I was just wondering what the cost of parts, and labor would run. I've called around Casper, Wy but there really isn't anyone who works on I/O boat motors. I did find a couple of guys that would work on it but they have never worked on boat motors before so I'm a little leary of them. They both quoted $1500.00 as a guess. Until they can get in and really see what all is messed up. Does this sound fair? What do you think. I'm not much of a mechanic when it comes to boat motors. Do you know if parts are hard to find? Any input you might have would really be appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether or not it will be worth buying and fixing. The boat itself is in great condition. Trailer too. Any ideas?<br />you can email me at jadekr@yahoo.com<br />Thanks<br />jade<br /><br />
Originally posted by corm:<br />You should be able to get what you need for parts. Also there are rebuilt or used avalible. It just depends on how much you want to spend and where you live. it's hard to give you more info cuuse you didn't put a<br />State down in your profile.<br />...have fun...corm

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi chunter,<br />Parts are still avaible. About $750 =pistons<br />rings bearings gasket set.oops forgot seals<br />+ $20. I'll email you a place in Denver Co.<br />that maybe of some help you find someone if they can't help.<br />$1500 doesn't sound to bad.A good automotive<br />rebuild shop can do it if you can get the motor out. BTW a long block from Merc lists<br />out at $3200.<br />...have fun...corm<br /><br />------------------<br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN