470 mercruiser trim senders & el outdrive restore

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took old senders off, attempted to remove boot, need a flex type driver. Loosend swivel pins.

Looking in there I probably need to replace the the shift cable. The trim sender wires were completely gone.

What else needs to be to be done for service while gimble is open?

Went from sender replacement to out drive restore.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Took old senders off, attempted to remove boot, need a flex type driver. Loosend swivel pins.....

Boot? There's no boots in the gimbal assembly. Photos would help.

If you're referring to the molded seal on the trim sender wires, they are held in by a plate, which is screwed to the gimbal housing with 2 x 1/4-20 screws (7/16" heads)... I bent up a ring spanner to gain access.

Click image for larger version  Name:	spanner.png Views:	1 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	10663710

Theses are the seals I'm referring to... Half is molded to each wire...

senders.PNG

Chris...........

Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks, I may as well ask now where to wire the senders 4 black wires (3 female plugs and 1 male end as you know). I Should be getting them routed through hull tonight. Send 2 wires to ground, and other 2 to the wire that goes to trim gauge?

What I called the boot is the U joint drive shaft bellows.
Dug through my parts. I have some left over from my last attempted project. Looks like that entire kit bellows kit other than the 2 hose pieces. They look like 3/4" and 1" ? I'm going to replace gimbal bearing also.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The wires with the male-female connectors (trim limit switch) plug into matching connectors, one with two blue white wires and one with a purple white wire. They should be hanging around there somewhere. Should be a connector back there for the trim gauge too, not sure the color, just plug them in, does not matter which is which. None of them go to ground!

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Terry. I’ll have to get back to you with that one. I Have questions still on what to do with my setup.

I need to get them through gimble, and get the bell housing back together.

I have a broken piece in bell housing also. I’ll attach picture, it’s the piece that keys into shift cable end.

The hole is small, do I need to to cut these plug ends off of the sender and limit wires to be able to feed through, Or can you feed one wire through without cutting?

I’d appreciate any tips or things to look out for on reinstalling the u joint bellows and the other rubber.

Looks like it’s going to be a bit tricky to reassemble it all and clamp up. I’m installing a new shift cable also.

achris

The cable ends will pass through the hole without having to cut them off. Just make sure you have the old seal out first. ;)

Chris......

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Broken piece, shaft that Goes into shift cable. I’m not seeing the exact part listed.

Attachments

• photo302416.jpg
    photo302416.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
The cable ends will pass through the hole without having to cut them off. Just make sure you have the old seal out first. ;)

Chris......

Old seal, I better get a new one. I didn’t realize there was a seal there.

achris

Nope, the seal is the 2 halves molded onto the wires. You have the new senders, you have the seal...

Chris........

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I should do gimble bearing while I’m here. Everything is all still apart, bell housing is off. looks like it needs to go back on first and everything else I have apart.

i have gimble remover, what should I use to tap it in place? Don’t really want to buy any more tools or this boat won’t get finished.😎

Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trying to get these micro screws off of the old shifter arm that’s attached to shaft in housing. They aren’t going to come out. Great....now I’m stuck until I get these off. ruins the Saturday with free time!

Any ideas? Hard to get much drive on either, even with solid placement of screw tip they look like they just want to strip before they’ll loosen. Got good force on the top one and nothing. I put some penetrant on them.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Disregard last post. Local shop had a new shaft and a new set screw. There goes Another boat buck!
Maybe remove last post please?

Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, back to the sender and trim limit wires. Finally routed through hull and ready to hook up. Going to do this next with new trim pump install. These 4 wires need homes.

I have a blue white wire that looks like it was added at some point and I “think” it went to one of or both the trim sender wires by transom? It goes to the trim gauge in dash.

I have a brown and white wire hanging near back of engine needs a home.

Instrument side if harness does not have a #10 port/plug. and there isn’t the proper wire in the female/engine side of harness either.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
For your up trim/ trailer you should have a blue white wire that goes into a connector from the trailer switch. You should also have a second b/w wire that goes from that same connector to the trim relay. One of the trim limit switch wires plugs into that connector. You should have a purple/white wire coming from the trim switch with a connector that the other trim limit switch plugs into. So look for a connector with two blue white wires and one with a purple white wire. If need be trace the b/w wire back from the up solenoid.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Terry. I’m missing all that stuff. Do you happen to have a schematic that shows where the 4 wires end up? Will just run new wires.

i have one wire going to trim gauge that went to one of the senders, and brown/white hanging at back of engine has something to do with them but I’m not sure what.
Other than that, everything had been removed by previous owner.

what is the trim trailer switch? I have a new trim pump assembly that is going in also this week if that matters.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK there are two ways to raise your outdrive, the trim and the trailer. Depending on your control you may have two switches or a single switch with with a detent that you push part way in for trim and all the way in for trailer. The trailer function raises your outdrive all the way up to the limit of the rams. The trim switch wire goes through the trim limit switch ( that you just replaced) and only allows you to raise the outdrive part way up, so you don’t damage the u joints when you are running. Both switches use the same up solenoid. The blue/white wire runs from the switch directly to the solenoid. The trim switch uses a purple /white wire from the switch to the (black) trim limit wire. The other trim limit switch wire connects to the blue/white wire. So you may need to find the wires p/w & b/w coming out of the control handle and try to trace them back to the stern and replace themif necessary. The others go to the trim gauge in the dash, and I don’t know much about them.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Terry, I think I'm good on the limits now, and can rewire where needed appreciate it. Chris had helped with the sender portion, this boats wiring was changed some. I think I'm good with that also, I'll should find out tonight.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Let me know if I should start another post. I found some new wires while pump was out so I’m back to starting. I’ll attach pics with details. my sender and limit switches are hanging loose looking for home. The old wires on limit and sender were frayed and separated so no verification.