45hp Merc spitting/jerking

sbulla

Seaman
Last season my motor ('86 45hp merc OB110011) started spitting through the carbs while idling and had a jerk associated with it.

While I had it put up, I installed carb kits because the bottom carb always leaked and flooded since I bought it and it looked as if it had never had any work done on the carbs. The work cured the flooding/leaking and the engine starts right up but, while I let it idle (in neutral and on muffs), it'll spit back through the carbs occasionally and jerk a bit.

What do y'all think is the problem? I called a local mechanic and he seems to think it may still be the carbs or reed valves.

Sonny

Laddies

Banned
Re: 45hp Merc spitting/jerking

First free reving don't do or show anything and it can break a reed, it sounds like the engine is just a little lean put it in the water and in gear adjust the mixture you can't do it without load and back pressure

sbulla

Seaman

First free reving don't do or show anything and it can break a reed, it sounds like the engine is just a little lean put it in the water and in gear adjust the mixture you can't do it without load and back pressure

Thanks for the reply.

I never let the rpms get over 2K when running on the muffs as per the mechanic's instructions that I bought it from.

This spitting started last year as I was coming in from fishing and idling back to the dock. The engine runs fine in the water at anything over idle speed.

I plan to take it for a run soon so, I'll see if it can be adjusted out.

Thanks again,
Sonny

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Has it ever been hot or had a impeller failure???

sbulla

Seaman

Has it ever been hot or had a impeller failure???

Not while I've had it and the PO, by the way everything looks, apparently took very good care of it and didn't use it a lot.

Sonny