4200 vs 5200

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for advice.

I’m ready to attached neoprene strips to my new fuel tank. I’ve got a ton of 4200 and very little 5200 available. Can I use 4200 instead of 5200 to adhere the strips? Any guidance would be appreciate. Thanks in advance

alldodge

Staff member
I wouldn't use 52, 42 will be fine, and in many cases no adhesive is needed. Tank is strapped in or foamed in so it's not moving

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it. Thank you.
just been getting mixed opinions on what to use. It’s a belly tank that is under the aft cabin. It’s got it’s own compartment. My fear was having the strips move around while getting it in place. Glueing them on would alleviate them shifting while the tank is installed.

Been restoring a 90 Bayliner 2651 for years. Transom, motor mounts, and getting the old tank out that wasnt leaking but bound to at some point. The shelf that the tank was sitting on collapsed. That’s all been rebuilt.

not gonna foam in. Didn’t have that from the factory. I’m intending to use plastic strips at each corner to secure the tank in the coffin.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is the info from Atlantic Coastal Welding (Speedy Tanks) where I bought my new tank. Foaming a tank voids their warranty.

The neoprene should be cut into 3” pieces and spaced 8” to 10” apart from one another. The neoprene are glued to the tank with the 3M 5200 fast set. I would also wipe them down with lacquer thinner, because everything sticks to the rubber. You do not have to put them in any order, just space them evenly. The neoprene allows a 1/4” air gap under the tank. The more air around the tank the better.