42 Holes in my transom. How do I fill?

knotperfect

Seaman
Yes, 42 holes that are through the gel/fiberglass on the transom of my boat. Maybe this is why my plywood transom rotted! These holes are from the steel plate, trim tabs, old transducers, aux motor mount, you name it. I removed everything except the aft tie down eyes and the swim deck. So how do I fill these holes? I am about ready to install the new transom into the boat, but I don't want all these little holes to be a problem later. I did an experiment earlier where I recycled my grinding dust and resin to fill a few holes and the result was pretty impressive but I am sure this is not the best solution. I have resin, cabosil, chopped fibers, etc so what do I use?

IMG_1273

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 42 Holes in my transom. How do I fill?

Wow that's a lot of holes.....well for one thing when you set the new transom all the holes will be sealed (the matt and resin from setting in the new plywood will seal them right up) Some matt and resin will ooze from each little hole. Then you can sand them down from the outside and touch up the color, unless you're going to repaint it all.

Larger holes are a different story but you're just talking screw holes correct?

knotperfect

Seaman

Wow that's a lot of holes.....

Larger holes are a different story but you're just talking screw holes correct?

Mostly screw holes but there are 6 that are 1/2" from the aluminim plate that was backing the transom plate.

I guess the ooze would have been obvious, huh?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The 1/2" ones will seal up also, since they are only the thickness (or depth) of the outer skin. You may want to cover them during the plywood installation so you don't have a big mess running down the outside of your transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, CW is spot on. I'd just use clear packing tape to tape over the holes, use thickened resin to install the transom and voila' all the holes will be filled when the transom is installed.