4160 Volts

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: 4160 Volts

Neumanns I am titled as utilitie mechanic, I work on everything from elevators to John Deere tractors. I make the same as any other tradesman on the crew with the exception of new employees down on the scale. I work all the trades but electric is my weak point. This day I was helping the #2 electrician on an emergancy. The guy is good, I have seen him do some great work over the years. He can trouble shoot with the best of them. Like I said I had faith in him even though I thought what was happening was a little shakey. He was just a bit over his head on this big stuff. He made a mistake and admitts to it, were still cool :cool: I figure everyone makes a mistake once in a while. We were rushing to restore power and you know what happens when you rush. The #1 electrician gave him an ear full today though.<br /><br />The meter was a Fluke that was good to 900 volts, I honestly thought he was gonna test the transformers above the lugs, I was "shocked" when he hit the lugs.<br /><br />Didnt go to the doc, I am fine and so is the other guy, our eyes have a bit of flash burn but we will be fine. Heck we ran some wire today :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dude <br /> ya really need to go get an EKG<br /> we had several high voltage incidents (navy talk :) ) thet you felt fine all the way up till defib.<br /> I may suggest rubber matting and High voltage rubber gloves as well as using a vacum tube voltmeter or another type meter designed for that type of voltage. High voltage (above 3Kv and high freq (above24 Ghz) is really really strange. it does not play by the rules.<br /> but if you recived flash burns and or shock you really really need to be checked for any retinal/corneal scarring and any irregular heart action.<br /> good luck and keep posting

crab bait

Captain

wow..!! had an angel lookin' over that day..<br /><br />i know exactly how it went down.. power loss an a big scramble to get back on line.. <br /><br />the electrician felt it's his turn to 'step-up'.. it's his baby.. <br /><br />but shoulda known that a 1000 volts ain't 4160.. heck i've never seen anybody ever lay tester leads on high voltage.. it's always a 'tick tester' turn it on an within 3 feet of voltage it sounds an beeps.. <br /><br />always test the secondary ( lower volt/output) terminals first..an not the primary ( high volt/input ) side.. <br /><br />anyways,, glad to see your still with the living.. <br /><br />my creed to live by.. " heed the hair-on-the-back-of- the-neck standin up.. before the hair on your head stands up "..

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Flathead,<br /><br />Get to a physician that specialiezes in electrical shock followup treatment. There can be damage to your internal organs that you may be unaware of. Have a liver enzyme test done as a baseline and have it checked again in a week.<br />Since you were holding the Fluke meter you were not a conductor most likely but your friend may have been. He needs the same follow up.<br />Have you training department contact the local electrcal utility company for a class on high voltage testing. Most offer classes in this for free or really cheap. As a public service item.<br /><br />Parrott_head

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Flahthead,<br />I want to second what some of the others are saying about getting checked by a doc. A shock can cause "delayed" heart failure and internal organs can be burned and cause "delayed" problems. All depends on how it hit you and where/if it passed through.

crab bait

Captain

never ever refuse medical treatment FOR ANYTHING.. especially if your not payin'.. <br /><br />just for the legal document/proof of accident.. specially if it comes backto haut you..<br /><br />without that,, ya have no leg-to-stand-on..

LadyFish

Admiral

Agree.<br /><br />Flahthead in addition to other injuries internally that may not appear until later, the reason I asked about your eyes is if you weren't wearing protective glasses you could suffer permenant vision loss or damage to your cornea.<br /><br />The cornea is a layer of protective tissue on the front part of the eyeball. It takes the brunt of the damage if proper eye protection is not worn, such as dark glasses or goggles while skiing in bright sun. A corneal flash burn can be considered a sunburn in the eye.<br /><br />* The cornea is the clear tissue in the front of the eye that covers the iris, focuses light on the retina, and protects deeper structures of the eye by acting like a windshield to the eye. It consists of cells similar to skin but is clear and contains fluid.<br /><br />* Corneal damage from a corneal flash burn (also called ultraviolet keratitis) or from a disease may cause pain, changes in vision, or complete loss of vision.

oddjob

Commander

Glad your OK Flathead you've got alot of great advice and support here...due to the amount of voltage, I can't say that I've been there and done that. But I have had soom close calls. The good news is...you will never be in that situation again cause now you really no better. :)