4160 Volts

FLATHEAD

Captain
Got hit with 4160 today at work. <br /><br />Was working on a power outage at work with one of the electricians. We lost one leg of our three phase at one our buildings. We ended up down in the transformer room where the power comes into the building. He and I were standing about two feet from the main lugs when he tried to test for juice coming in. Bad idea!!! I was holding the fluke meter and had just got done telling him that I was not comfortable working with this big stuff, he had the leads in his hands ready to test things out. (I should of went with my gut), but I thought the guy had enough experiance that he knew what was up. Well when he hit those lugs it sounded like a cannon went off, a flash of light so brilliant you could not imagine!! We were both blown clean outside the room and the other guy was on fire!!<br />I managed to put him out and unbelievably we both fared pretty well considering what just took place. <br /><br />He had a few minor burns on his hands and chest, I have a burn on my hand from the meter that smoked, my ears hurt and I have some flash burn on my eyes. The boom was heard all the way at the other end of the building, the custodian was afraid to come look figuring we had been killed.<br /><br />We have to be the luckiest guys around today. I will tell ya one thing, I knew better but I did not go with my instincts, instead I put my arse on the line rather then question a coworkers ability when I knew it just was not a good thing to do. I'll never let it happen again, you can bank on that.

sloopy

Commander
Re: 4160 Volts

Glad no one was killed. So Both of you got out ok?

ob

Admiral

Glad to hear you are both still with us Flathead.I've seen a few people get hit with 4160 over the years while working on forced draft fan junctions at power stations.One guy was hit directly through the hand ,and because his arm was bent ,the voltage /electro-motive force exited his elbow.It looked much like a gunshot wound.<br /><br />Hope the doc gave you some eye drops for that flashburn as the worst of it will likely hit you tonight while you sleep.I've had that a few times myself.It's like someone threw sand in your eyes.Hopefully yours was not a direct flash. <br /><br />Take care.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

WOW Flathead :eek: I would think by that amount of juice, it had to by your lucky day. I know even 440 can jump to you, and with that you encountered you don't have to be too close to it at all to jump.<br /><br />Just glad your still with us, tomorrow will let you know the aches and pains that go with a hit like that.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea, consider yourself lucky. I have seen fellows hit with a lot less and not make it.<br /><br />Don't know if the flashburn is anything like a welder flashburn, but if it is, I don't envy you any.<br /><br />I had the welder flashburn from welding inside a dump trailer all day, and dummy me with no shirt on, and it sure was no fun the next, and my eyes felt like sand for a week.<br /><br />Glad your ok. And your co-worker too.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wow, you guys are really lucky. I have had the pleasure of 110v and that was enough for me.<br /><br />In the oilfield, you have to have all kinds of permits just to do simple things. Lock out/tag out, etc.... May want to consider this for your line of work.<br /><br />Reminds me of a saftey alert that was about an electrician that died when he tried to fix the microwave oven. Those things have some high voltage too.<br /><br />Ken

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Flathead....I think "lucky" is an understatement. I work in a power plant that uses 6.9KV and 4KV motors and just about everything underneath. Count your blessings my friend....you dodged a big one today. Glad you and your friend are fine. :D :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Glad your still with us Flathead! I know what kind of monster amperage your working with. But here is a little Trivia: Only 50 ma, yup 50/1,000,000 of one (1)amp, can stop a healthy adults heart! Won't run my RC car but ...<br />So like OBJ said...

FLATHEAD

Captain

Thanks guys, You bet I know how lucky I am. My eyes hurt like heck this morning. Someone from up above was looking out for us, thats for sure.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, you are very lucky. Years ago we had an electrician almost killed with a lot less voltage than that. He survived, but was never able to work on electricity again, as he became afraid of it.<br /><br />I trust someone will do a complete review of safety proceedures, and make changes as necessary. As a supervisor, there is simply nothing worse than having to attend to a serious industrial accident, and by far the most common reason is incomplete, or ignored, safety rules and proceedures.

gaugeguy

Captain

Wow FH, glad to hear you are OK. After what you just went through a little flashburn is acceptable.

LadyFish

Admiral

OMG Flahthead
158.gif
<br /><br />Thank God your still alive to tell about it. <br /><br />I'm glad you survived it with only minor injuries. You are sooooo very lucky.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> wow your lucky. I learned with 480.<br /> 2 things.<br /> never ever ever trust anyone to answer the is the power off question and never ever hold the meter when testing high voltage. in the navy some radar transmitters have enough voltage that it will kill a watch two feet from the klystron or magnatron. its scary but ya survived :) :) <br />and at least my fingernail and tip grew back eventually :) .<br /> good luck and take it easy

mattttt25

Commander

flathead, pls see a doctor if you have not already. you should be under observation. if that voltage went through you in any way, complications could show up later (or within a few days). we had a guy bit by 408 a few months back. he felt ok and seemed fine. collapsed the following day from heart complications. he's fine now, but it could have been worse. take care-

rwise

Captain

Flahthead<br />I know to well the flash you speak of, working on a load center that had flashed and was cleaned and taped and sprayed down with insulating varnish (not a good idea) my co worker grabbed a breaker with the panel still open pulled it off and back on before I could say NO! It flashed again and his hand and up his arm looked like pop corn! I have had 480 a number of times, it ain’t fun! Glad I no longer work with high voltage. And glad you are/will be okay.<br /><br />Worst shock is left arm to right leg. And like Mattttt25 said if have not seen the Doc, do go!!!<br /><br />Richard

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

HOLY WOW, I think you should ask for a raise. You don't get paid enoufgh to be playing with that much voltage as a generalist. A specialtist yes a all around guy no. Exactly what kind of meter did you have anyway that would handel that kind of load...Nothing you would find on my shop bench. :eek:

LadyFish

Admiral

Flahthead do you know if you had a corneal tear or just an abrasion from the flash? I understand that flash burn from electricity can generate 4,000 degrees of heat. Curious what the doc said about your eyes.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad you're alive Flathead. I don't know what kind of Fluke you are/were using. I own several and they are all rated at 1000 volts. I know that they make alot of high voltage meters but I don't mess with the "big" stuff. Any thing over 480 I leave to the other guys. I too learned the hard way.