40hp shearing flywheel keys?

Bman1337

Seaman Apprentice
So honestly. This is a 100$ engine. Should I just red loctite the flywheel taper and the nut? I won't be dropping any real money into this engine for any reason past this flywheel issue. And If ever an issue come up bad enough to need the flywheel removed again Im just not gonna bother and get another bigger engine instead. I've always heard red was "permanent". Permanent may be exactly what I need.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Don't know where your finding your parts but every Force/Chrysler I've ever worked on had that nut with the nylon keeper in it.
I guess you could double nut it after you've torqued it??
Shouldn't need Loctite on the taper if you have the right nut.

Bman1337

Seaman Apprentice
Any idea what the nut size and thread pitch is? I do have an update.

Went all over looking for a good woodruff key today. Found one that actually fits the crank nice and snug. So I'm gonna trust it I guess and nobody seems to be able to get me the mercury key and id like to go out tomorrow for a few. But I ended up Torquing it down to 120ftlbs. Places on the internet claimed 125ftlbs and the 120 felt awfully darn tight so close enough. I think the flywheel had the tiniest amount of drag when spun by hand that it didn't have before? I think it was drag anyway. It was so slight I wasn't sure. But i did fire it up and it's running good. And when I shut it off the flywheel felt normal? Whatever normal is. Honestly I don't even remember what the drag was like before just my gut telling me it was alittle more than it was. But now it feels the same as another outboard ice spun by hand. And I did recheck the torque after running it awhile and it's all good. Gonna run it anyhow. It it pops the key and spins again it's getting welded.
Edit Quote

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do not use loctite on the tapers.----Often the hardware store key sticks out too much.----Then the flywheel cannot be pushed down on the tapers.----Remember , the key locates the flywheel for timing.----The locking tapers drive the flywheel.----The locking tapers eliminate any motion between flywheel and crankshaft.----Prevents any damage to the 2 tapers !!!

Bman1337

Seaman Apprentice
Do not use loctite on the tapers.----Often the hardware store key sticks out too much.----Then the flywheel cannot be pushed down on the tapers.----Remember , the key locates the flywheel for timing.----The locking tapers drive the flywheel.----The locking tapers eliminate any motion between flywheel and crankshaft.----Prevents any damage to the 2 tapers !!!
Well the one I found was at tractor supply. It fit snug in the crank and if anything it could have stuck out a tad more. But it all felt good going together other than my little paranoia about having over lapped it and that's why i felt alittle drag at first. But Honestly As long as that taper is gonna hold that key shouldn't be an issue. Would there really be any point in pulling it back apart to swap it with a mercury key when I get it? I mean the key allowed me to put 120ftlb against it so I imagine it'll work.