40hp Merc. 4 cylinder 2 stroke

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for some pros/cons of this outboard.
Serial # OD152202...thinking it's a 1995?
Person selling it "says",might of had 2 tanks gas through it,in all these years.(sure)
I hasn't been run in 2 years and only in freshwater.
I think it might burn alittle more gas then 3/2 cylinder but it should be pretty smooth and sound nice.
Any known problems with this type outboard?
What would a fair price be,I think there way to high at $2600.
I'm thinking $1500 at the most.

Attachments

• merc (2).jpg
    merc (2).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
  • merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0

Jake.

Seaman
Re: 40hp Merc. 4 cylinder 2 stroke

That's a 1992. I have the same engine (in Mariner colors). Runs great, not difficult to work on, I have no complaints. It spent the first 15 years of it's life pushing around an 18 foot pontoon and is now in a 16 foot fishing boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40hp Merc. 4 cylinder 2 stroke

2 tanks of gas should mean that it is in like new physical condition meaning the prop is like new, the paint is still pristeen on the lower part of the skeg, the cowling is not scratched up and all. All moving control surfaces (shifter and throttle) gears, fittings, slides and all should be tight and obviously new looking/feeling.

Having sat up for 2 years means complete fuel system cleaning (carb kits, fuel pump, fuel filter) and new water pump. Flush fuel tank and fuel lines using fresh fuel and the squeeze bulb. Add some Sea Foam to the fuel in addition to any 50:1 fuel oil mix if engine doesn't have oil pump, self contained oil/tank...don't think so; if so it would be just fuel in the tank, not fuel/oil mix. Would also drain and refill the lower unit with new seals on the lower unit drain and vent screws. Fluid there should be clear...blue black is Merc oil, honey is aftermarket Pennzoil, and White would be Lubriplate. Beware of any chocolate or yellow milky oil as that is water intrusion and not good news for an engine that has been sitting

On price, at todays market prices If really 2 tanks of fuel, $2600 to me would be a reasonable number....if you could negotiate lower then great.

Best I can do from here.

Mark