40 hp twin engines

Pontoondominium

Recruit
Just bought a 95 32' Suntracker w cabin and a 115hp outboard. Motor has not run in quite some time, and it is 2 stroke. I am thinking spend a few extra bucks and add brackets for new twin 40hp 4 stroke. This is a pleasure boat, not watersports and high speed. I would be surprised if I ever go more than 12 mph. Just dont see any boats w twins except for speed demons. I am looking for ease of docking and peace of mind a second motor affords. Thoughts?

link to site that manufactures similar brackets

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Very good idea.-----First evaluate the 115 HP motor.------Model # of the 115 HP ??

ahicks

Captain
Myself, after having driven some of the 70'+ class houseboats on a single, I would check out how the boat handles on the single engine for a bit, THEN make your decision regarding how you want to proceed.

Twin 4 stroke plan sounds awesome, but something like that is going to make a pretty serious dent in your boating budget.

Sure, the extra reliability gained with twin 4 strokes is undeniable, but on a 35' 'toon, I'm not REAL sure how much extra maneuverability the twins are going to give you if mounted centrally. You'd probably have to mount one to the back of each pontoon to get an advantage. 4 blade props for sure....

Pontoondominium

Recruit
The old 2 stroke motor may have worth to the right person, just not me. I certainly dont have money to burn, but I can justify the expense of new 4 stroke(s). I really hope there are a few people who have looked into it or experience with twins, one on each toon. Have a fab buddy who can weld paper, just hoping for knowledge.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Your buddy may be able to weld paper thin material but can that thin pontoon aluminum handle the side loading, forward & reverse thrust, and tilting/trimming of an outboard hanging on it. Additional expense of dual throttle and steering must be considered. I had an 20 foot toon with a 40 4-stroke and it was a great rig for my use but even with only two aboard it was not a great performer. I can't envision twin 40's on a 35 being even remotely adequate -- especially on big water which you apparently will deal with if you are worried about backup power. That boat needs a 115 minimum in my view.