40 big twin

jaybrown

Banned
I'm about to get this boat with a 40 evinrude big twin for a great deal and how do you tell if the water pump is workin here is a short video of it running hope it helps it's not the greatest quality

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Don't run it anymore -- got the info you needed (i.e., it runs). Just change out the impeller, and go from there. Only exception would be knowing for certain it was just changed by somebody who knows what they are doing.

jaybrown

Banned
Don't run it anymore -- got the info you needed (i.e., it runs). Just change out the impeller, and go from there. Only exception would be knowing for certain it was just changed by somebody who knows what they are doing.
Ya your right is changing the impeller on that old of a motor any different than changing one on a 80s model?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
not really, but all depends on models. Take a look at a parts diagram for your motor -- folks here can walk you through it, if you want.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would most certainly change out the water impellor/entire water pump assembly if I purchased or was give any type engine. It cost so little to know absolutely it is done right and new. JMHO!