4 stroke v 2 stroke. Outboard

Galtee

Cadet
Hi folks.
So I upgraded my old 2 HP dt2 for a much newer 4 stroke 2.5 HP mariner and a great decision!. Id recommend any one thinking about upgrading to do so. Much smoother, starts easier , more powerful and the neutral gear also. Did a gps speed test and achieved average speed of 11.5 kmph. She actually got my 2.5 meter sib on the plane briefly hitting 16.5 kmph!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Hi folks.
So I upgraded my old 2 HP dt2 for a much newer 4 stroke 2.5 HP mariner and a great decision!. Id recommend any one thinking about upgrading to do so. Much smoother, starts easier , more powerful and the neutral gear also. Did a gps speed test and achieved average speed of 11.5 kmph. She actually got my 2.5 meter sib on the plane briefly hitting 16.5 kmph!
Glad you got an improvement in performance, but from my experience, your two stroke probably needs a tuneup or it is getting weak. My like new 2.2 hp
two stroke will run faster than my neighbors 2.5 hp four stroke on the same 12' Jon boat. Was probably time to replace the tired old girl....

Galtee

Cadet
Glad you got an improvement in performance, but from my experience, your two stroke probably needs a tuneup or it is getting weak. My like new 2.2 hp
two stroke will run faster than my neighbors 2.5 hp four stroke on the same 12' Jon boat. Was probably time to replace the tired old girl....
Probably. 30 years old.. but I find the 4 stroke not only more powerful, but smoother, quieter, easier to start and the neutral gear is great to have. Kind of like buying a car 15 years newer , everything is just way smoother.

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You will also love a computer controlled engine when you get the repair bills. And the required PM expenses.
If new 4 strokes could do away with those 2 items. They would be a big improvement over the 2 strokes.

Galtee

Cadet
You will also love a computer controlled engine when you get the repair bills. And the required PM expenses.
If new 4 strokes could do away with those 2 items. They would be a big improvement over the 2 strokes.
That's progress for new technology I guess. Like all newer cars now are controlled by computers. Diagnostic etc. But very few people would drive a 15-20 year old car.

matt167

Rear Admiral
It’s actually just a CDI with a carburetor on that. 40 year old technology. 9.9 and up has EFI in Suzukis lineup

airshot

Rear Admiral
Nevertheless feels and operates beautifully compared to a 30 year old 2 stroke.
Mabey not....my 1985 Merc 2.2 hp starts on second pull after sitting for 30 days. Idles right down to a crawl. Runs for over an hour on the little builtin fuel tank. Only weighs 30lbs, and cost a total of 200 bucks. I bet it will outrun your 4 stroke and far less cheaper to repair....lol..to bad we couldn't have a drag race !!

Galtee

Cadet
Mabey not....my 1985 Merc 2.2 hp starts on second pull after sitting for 30 days. Idles right down to a crawl. Runs for over an hour on the little builtin fuel tank. Only weighs 30lbs, and cost a total of 200 bucks. I bet it will outrun your 4 stroke and far less cheaper to repair....lol..to bad we couldn't have a drag race !!
Yes they are light. The 2 strokes. Can you hit 11.5 kmph average speed. And the 4 stroke actually planed my sib (briefly )on my first day out with it. My Suzuki dt2 never came close to planing.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes they are light. The 2 strokes. Can you hit 11.5 kmph average speed. And the 4 stroke actually planed my sib (briefly )on my first day out with it. My Suzuki dt2 never came close to planing.
Your Suzuki was probably getting tired out....my little Merc was a garage queen and only sees a few hours run time each season. Other than the decals being scratched up from being carried in a trunk, the motor is in showroom condition. It gets used on my 12' Jon boat on ocassion and is used as a kicker motor on my 16' tinnie.

Yorkitup

Recruit
A lot of places are starting to restrict or altogether ban 2 strokes now. Enjoy your new motor!👍🏻

airshot

Rear Admiral
A lot of places are starting to restrict or altogether ban 2 strokes now. Enjoy your new motor!👍🏻
With the electric push, those same areas will be all electric before long. We have a small lake that turned all electric a few years back, only the DNR guy is allowed a gas motor on that lake. Not sure why they would need a 150 hp motor to go after a fisherman with only an electric motor, but that is the way it is !!