4 flat 7 wire trailer connector

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
EVERYWHERE.

Auto parts store, trailer store, ebay, wally, etc, etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You can use a standard 4 wire connector. The connector shown in the picture is designed so half the wires go down one side of the trailer while the other half goes down the other. So from left to right you have three ground wires all of which terminate at far left terminal on the plug. You have Two running/tail light wires both of which terminate at the second from the left terminal. That leaves you with the right and left turn/brake wires for a total of 7 wires but only four terminals in the connector. The number of wires is of no consequence. It was done for wiring convenience only..

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
your whites are all ground wires, they can be connected together.

There are a few companies that still make the harness with full length ground wires running to all the lights.
But everyone I've seen require you to buy the complete harness, not just the connector with pigtail wires.

jpezz

Cadet
You can use a standard 4 wire connector. The connector shown in the picture is designed so half the wires go down one side of the trailer while the other half goes down the other. So from left to right you have three ground wires all of which terminate at far left terminal on the plug. You have Two running/tail light wires both of which terminate at the second from the left terminal. That leaves you with the right and left turn/brake wires for a total of 7 wires but only four terminals in the connector. The number of wires is of no consequence. It was done for wiring convenience only..
I agree and completely understand but I have seven wires going through the boat trailer so I need a plug that has these seven wires so I can rewire the the wires in the trailer. Correct?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
No you can combine the 3 white ground wires & connect to one terminal and the 2 brown running/brake light wires & connect to one terminal and that leaves the yellow (left blinker) and green (right blinker). You’re combining the multiples of the same color wires.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I'll take another stab at this if there is still confusion. You have one brown wire running up each side of the trailer -- right? At the front, tie those two wires together and then connect them to the single brown wire from the new four wire plug. You have white ground wires coming from all over the trailer -- right? At the front of the trailer, tie them all together and then connect them to the single white wire on the plug. Splice the current green and yellow wires to the remaining green and yellow wire on the new plug. Done.

jpezz

Cadet
your whites are all ground wires, they can be connected together.

There are a few companies that still make the harness with full length ground wires running to all the lights.
But everyone I've seen require you to buy the complete harness, not just the connector with pigtail wires.
Thank you for you help.

jpezz

Cadet
No you can combine the 3 white ground wires & connect to one terminal and the 2 brown running/brake light wires & connect to one terminal and that leaves the yellow (left blinker) and green (right blinker). You’re combining the multiples of the same color wires.
Thanks for the response and info.

jpezz

Cadet
I'll take another stab at this if there is still confusion. You have one brown wire running up each side of the trailer -- right? At the front, tie those two wires together and then connect them to the single brown wire from the new four wire plug. You have white ground wires coming from all over the trailer -- right? At the front of the trailer, tie them all together and then connect them to the single white wire on the plug. Splice the current green and yellow wires to the remaining green and yellow wire on the new plug. Done.
I got it. Thanks for the clarity.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I used the Hopkins quick connect to make a spare extension harness and just soldered the wires to the terminals instead of depending on friction to hold them…

Attachments

• 0350A913-7F35-4DEB-B3F0-92C0CDBFC64A.jpeg
    0350A913-7F35-4DEB-B3F0-92C0CDBFC64A.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • D83FC8FE-F8CC-4642-83C6-9348E7FEBD9C.jpeg
    D83FC8FE-F8CC-4642-83C6-9348E7FEBD9C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 3075203D-4C0A-4192-9C81-4441DF864DBC.jpeg
    3075203D-4C0A-4192-9C81-4441DF864DBC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10