4 Blade Turning Point Hustler prop with two different kinds of blades

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The new 4 blade Hustler prop has a pair of cleaver-style blades and a pair of progressive rake blades. I have a 16' Avenger with a 135HPV6 Merc. I had planned to use a 3 blade Hustler, as I think it is about the best non-SS prop I have tried.

Is the 4 blade better or worse for my high-performance application, compared to the 3 blade Hustler? Does pairing the different blades really work, or is it hype?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 Blade Turning Point Hustler prop with two different kinds of blades

I have a 3 blade prop of theirs and in reading up on the company and all they seem to try to give you as high a performance alum prop as can be had considering the material. Personally I have confidence in their design. With that said, and having seen some interesting props and combo's out there, I'd say that anything is possible.

What they may have done is to attempt to give you the efficiency of a 2 bladed prop with the balance and thrust capabilities of a 4. I wouldn't be afraid to try it. Besides my 13 1/4 x 23 x 3 cost me $99 from iboats. I bought the thing just to compare it's performance to my SS props.

Mark

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Oh easy answer to that. Pickup a 24 for a volvo SX drive and i'w give it a whirl for you...i will pay the postage...;)

Intresting thought do you run it high for the cleaver design with less drag??? pretty cheap though for a spare if it not a performer...;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Oh easy answer to that. Pickup a 24 for a volvo SX drive and i'w give it a whirl for you...i will pay the postage...;)

Intresting thought do you run it high for the cleaver design with less drag??? pretty cheap though for a spare if it not a performer...;)

Is that a Volvo SX drive I see in your restoration pictures? Mighty nice, detailed, restoration. Congratulations, I know you have a deep feeling of pride every time you see and use it. Bet it strikes up conversations at the launching ramp also. Having gone through the process once, one has to have a lot of drive and determination to see things through, especially when you see some of the messes some folks have when they start the restoration. Mine wasn't all that bad. I restored an alum. Starcraft and deck (floor) and transom were the major replacements. Seats were bought. Funny that was one reason I wanted an alum. hull....no stringers rotted and all.

One thing you mentioned was your performance enhancement when you changed props and actually increased your mph going to a 4 blade. Course the efficiency of the new prop could have been a lot of that. I suppose the prop you had on the boat didn't load the engine adequately leaving margin to be realized with the replacement, or it was just in efficient in comparison.

-------------
This is not stealing the thread necessarily. The topic of Volvo and props came up and I addressed them and just added a little extra that I wanted to say and felt is was worth saying. The restoration thread was closed for further comment.

Mark

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Boat's brought out my teenage yr's again. I grew up in a shop and by the time i was 18 i could have cared less if i ever touched a wrench or engine again i simply hated it.Then i inherited a old glass boat and of course the kids wanted a cool looking boat..so it was a family project...sounds fun huh...:D It turned into a obession....:faint2:

Lot's of boat's here in Portland..it's just another boat as far as that goes but i had to playaround and hop up the engine and i get some funny looks at time's.. Here's a 20" bowrider running down the river high on its keel....Looks like a sanger or bass boat dancing in its tail @ wot. The pic below shows the wake at wot..it's riding on 18" of hull. Iv'e had more than may share of coast gaurd pull over's checking the engine for compliance.

boat272.jpg

What started the whole thing was going from a 19p three blade to a 20p 4blade ss..and a 5mph gain that was ok how did that work. rpm levels were the same...little rev limiter on the 19 but why the gain. So the tinkering began and is still on going..keep's my mind off event's and it's intersting to see how far you can push thing's....Ive still not broke anything so there is room for growth...:lol:

Penta prop's who know's its not where they shine and who care's...The sx drive is smooth as silk and the way they built the 4.3 is perfect if one want's to play around and expand.Iv'e found a lower duoprop for the drive that's the next step if i can get the guy to believe he doesnt have a gold plated lower...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the come back. Check my Avatar. I don't know how much I'm running on; 17' tin lizzie and 90 Merc. I was trying to drive and shoot the pic at the same time.....trying to ensure that I didn't drop my cell phone over the side.

On the Volvo, they as OMC have come a long way over the years with streamlining their outdrives.....opinion.

Mark

jestor68

Commander

$T2eC16VHJGQE9noM,Kt3BQ5vWU8QUw~~60_12.JPG As long as we're braggin on our fast boats.........

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

attachment.php

Nice sled you have there....and a shorty...:cool: Dont have the right water up here in orygun for that type...lake's are puddle's and the river get a bit nasty most of the time. i would like to play with that kind but the kids are in school and there just a tad spendy...and i could just see the boy's in something like that.:faint2:

But the bowrider does stand on it's tail in similar fashsion hence the Tail Gunner...gunning down the river on the tail...it's comical. 80 plus i assume or faster...At those speed's id lose what sanity i have left...we have so much debries (logs braches) in the water its always top priority

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Thanks for the come back. Check my Avatar. I don't know how much I'm running on; 17' tin lizzie and 90 Merc. I was trying to drive and shoot the pic at the same time.....trying to ensure that I didn't drop my cell phone over the side.

On the Volvo, they as OMC have come a long way over the years with streamlining their outdrives.....opinion.

Mark

:D When we were kids we used to take the O/B's off the ski boat's and put them on the rental boat's..its a wonder i am still around...But that wake you have there lets you know she's dancing...ever try and sudden manuvers when she's riding that high...:lol:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

:D When we were kids we used to take the O/B's off the ski boat's and put them on the rental boat's..its a wonder i am still around...But that wake you have there lets you know she's dancing...ever try and sudden manuvers when she's riding that high...:lol:

Being a tin lizzie, she has a keel, a 1" angle alum strip that runs bow to stern to cover the weld where the two halves of the hull were joined. This forms an excellent anti skid mechanism and when I go into a turn, and sometimes at high speed but usually I cut the throttle somewhat (20%) prior to the turn, the boat digs in in the normal manner making a nice bank and most of the time I firewall it in the middle of the turn and blast out......my sweetie calls this her motorcycle....which I have outgrown. Being a bass boat it has a bench seat and she sits next to me and I get a reactionary squeeze every time I do it. We're over 70 but can still have fun.

For the safety concerned folks, I boat in a 1000 acre lake on week days when most everyone is at work and the wind is low. I do not go around other boats when playing. My boat is rated for 130 hp and I only have a 90 on it, but as you can tell from my Avatar, 90 is enough to get me into the high 40's and a lot of fun. We wear our PFDs always.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mark and others, Thanks for the info. My question comes down to performance. Like mark I was pleased with the Hustler 3 blade prop. The question is whether a Hustler 4 blade prop will give as good performance on my 16' speedboat. I could run in the 60s with a 3 blade 21" Hustler. What difference will a 4 blade prop make?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

If its designed well it should feel smoother, improve low speed planing, have a nice midrange punch and launch a bit quicker. As to the cleaver part of the design who know's until you put one on its a wag.Could be just a looky lu thing or the real deal...Ive never seen another prop setup that way...I know variable pitch prop's sounded funky but there owner's luvem so drop the dime and take a ride on the wild side..:D

Actually it would be fun to just pick one up to see if you can actually run the engine higher that should get you more speed.