FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
With props it is really on a boat by boat prop to prop basis. My boat had a three bladed prop of unknown manufacture that got torn up by the previous owner who had no problems with it. I bought another 3 bladed prop of the same size and had cavitation problems especially in turns. Then I bought a four bladed prop and dropped from a 15 pitch to a 13. No cavation proplems, max rpm's and a little faster than with the previous owners 3 bladed prop before it got torn up. I believe that you get a little better push with them, and a little more blade in the water at all times. On my boat it also handles better at docking/idle speeds.
Some tooners and people who run big work boats like them because they're good for pushing heavy loads. I don't think you'd realize much if any performance gain because your barge isn't that big or heavy.
I switched from, a 3 blade to a 4 blade. If you pull a tube or skier it helps a lot with getting out of the hole. If you don't, you're not going to notice much difference, and I wouldn't waste the money.