4.3MPI surges badly above 2600 rpm

Maclin

Admiral
Hey everybody,

2002 Mercruiser 4.3MPI sn/0M325971
260 hours
In a 2002 Brant 188 18 foot bowrider.

Recent history:
In early July this year Started and ran good first run of the season. Could hit top RPM and was smooth operating at any rpm. Ran it for 40 minutes, was low on fuel so ended that day and topped off with non-ethanol fuel later, from same place as what was in it.

I added Stabil later next day in proper amount.

Next run was 2 weeks later, started ok, ran ok, water was a little choppy maybe. Stopped for a bit out on the water, had 2 passengers, started engine and took off off ok, set it to 3400 rpm for a nice cruise and it started dropping RPM until it got to 2600, then tried to surge back up but hit maybe 3200rpm then came right back down to 2400-2600 each time, then would tr to go up again. I trimmed down and tried to find a spot on the throttle that could stay at 2400-2600, so still surging we went back to the dock at the lower speed. I was afraid it was going to die a couple of times but it always went back to 2400-2600 or so but it was never a steady run, surging whole time. Once we got to the dock at idle it was fine and did not notice any surging. We had to putt around for a while until our turn at the ramp, acted normal at the super low speeds.

I dumped the fuel from the filter into glass jar and it was clean, let it sit and no sediment or any contaminants showed after several hours, so confident it only has good fuel in it. I put in a new fuel filter but have not run it since then.

When it started cutting out I had just planed out and was settling in for a 3400-3600rpm cruise. It was ok for about 30 seconds then the surging started. The bow was up some so I leveled out and it seemed a little better, the surging seemed to not be as drastic. I opened the gascap, no hissing. , that is all the diagnostics I have done except for the filter inspection.

Thanks for reading....Send me a bill... !!!

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the rail, and see if things are falling off. If not then going to need to read some sensors, TPS, MAP

Maybe see if you can get Ted to hook up his laptop

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The only time I've seen a 4.3 with this type of surging, I replaced the spark plugs and it was good for another few hundred hours....

Chris....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi.
Just recently I was using a fuel treatment and octane booster. I had the same issue last few times out. I blamed the usual mpi crap cap and ordered another. That wasn’t the issue. I’m now convinced the fuel treatment has likely dislodged some 16 year old fuel sludge from the tank and lines.

Maclin

Admiral
Thanks guys!

Figured at first that it must be fuel related just because of how it manifested and behaved as we headed back to the dock. Have not had time to do anything but the filter removal and inspection, and new filter install. It is in "dry dock" with no access to water hose now so can't even run it.

I will change cap and plugs as well first. I know, not the scientific method of research, but I do not have ready access to the boat anymore. Hopefully I can do this at home and be able to run it some on the muffs.

QBhoy, that's a bummer man. Have you been able to debug yours as yet?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys!

Figured at first that it must be fuel related just because of how it manifested and behaved as we headed back to the dock. Have not had time to do anything but the filter removal and inspection, and new filter install. It is in "dry dock" with no access to water hose now so can't even run it.

I will change cap and plugs as well first. I know, not the scientific method of research, but I do not have ready access to the boat anymore. Hopefully I can do this at home and be able to run it some on the muffs.

QBhoy, that's a bummer man. Have you been able to debug yours as yet?

Hi maclin

i haven’t been out in it since to be honest. Although I have a new diz cap and fuel filter for it to be fitted. I bought another boat worth a cuddy and I’m ashamed to say a 4 stroke outboard. Secretly I’m totally taken by now good these modern 4 stroke outboards are. It’s 19ft and weighs nearly 1500 kgs with a 115 efi mariner 2016. Manages an incredible 43 mph gps and only sips the fuel at any rpm. Don’t tell anyone.

Maclin

Admiral
This ended up being the High Pressure Fuel Pump. Dealer fixed it, $870 parts and $200 labor.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sure is. Why I like the simple mechanical pump pre Vortec engines. At most $100 and a half hr of work to install.

Maclin

Admiral
Spendy Pretty. Dealer fixed it and bought it from me, sad/glad to see it go.