4.3l Vortec head,intake,4bbl Upgrade!

MikDee

Banned
Re: 4.3l Vortec head,intake,4bbl Upgrade!

Cam specs, from S10 Planet:

Factory 4.3L Cam Specs
* '96-'00, VIN W, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .415/.429
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .191/.195

* '93-'96, VIN Z, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .376/.402
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .183/.193

* '92-'95, Vin W, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .432/.440
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .208/.208

* '91-'93, ZR9/Z79, Syclone/Typhoon
- Lift (I/E) - .351/.386
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .179/.195 (Ductile)

* '90-'91, VIN Z, Astro/Safari
- Lift (I/E) - .403/.450
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .202/.213 (Steel)

* '87-'94, Vin Z, w/o balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .351/.386
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .179/.195 (Ductile)

a70eliminator

Captain

I find it amusing that when we build for performance, modify with GO parts, really turn these motors on and WOW it's all good I mean great! Then there's the guy who wants to put an 80HP outboard in place of the 60HP and his boat is only rated for 70HP,,, no can't do that, dangerous, loss of control, insurance liabilty, ect ect.
Is there any difference in an I/O boat vs. outboard when it comes to max HP ratings?

Sorry to get a little off topic I'm happy for you, just a little jealous that your little 6 popper can now probably blow my v8 out of the water.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I find it amusing that when we build for performance, modify with GO parts, really turn these motors on and WOW it's all good I mean great! Then there's the guy who wants to put an 80HP outboard in place of the 60HP and his boat is only rated for 70HP,,, no can't do that, dangerous, loss of control, insurance liabilty, ect ect.
Is there any difference in an I/O boat vs. outboard when it comes to max HP ratings?

Sorry to get a little off topic I'm happy for you, just a little jealous that your little 6 popper can now probably blow my v8 out of the water.

I have room for 80 more horses on my hull. I wish someone would offer this upgrade package installed locally or that I could wake up tomorrow with the knowledge. I will keep my eyes open for the Craigs List ad advertising the Vortec V6 cam and carb upgrade.

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

IB/OB boats are typically heavier, and fewer people upgrade their power output, because there is a lot more involved in doing so.

Lots of people blow their outboards, and when they go shopping for new ones, can easily pick more powerfull motors.

This is part of the reason that people are aware (and mention) hull HP limits on OB powered boats.

If a boat has very little mass (like say a 14' aluminum for example) and you throw a lot of HP behind it (say 150 HP for example) then it becomes more and more dangerous. It can easily hit a wave, and jump, get air borne, flip, etc.

But when boats are heavier, and longer (like a 20' IB/OB ski boat for example) they can handle going 10-20 MPH faster, because they have a lot more mass, and when they hit big waves, then tend to go "through" them rather than launch off them.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can take an IB/OB boat and add as much power/speed as you want, and it will be safe, I'm just saying they cope with it much better than a smaller OB boat.

Also the change is speed is much less with an IB/OB... If you take an IB/OB that does 50MPH, and double it's HP, it will do 70-72 MPH Max, only a 44% increase.

But if you take an 70 HP OB that goes 35 MPH, and replace it with a 150, it could easily do 55-60 MPH, you're looking at a 70% increase.

It's also much much harder to detect and enforce over-powered IB/OB boats.

An OB boat, will have a plate with MAX HP, and a big 14" number on the side of the motor. If the plate in the boat says max HP 70, and there is a gigantic 80 on the side of the motor, you know you've got a problem.

But, if an IB/OB boat came with a 260 HP 350 stock, and someone's built a 380 HP 383 stroker, when you open the engine cover up, the two motors will look identical, for the most part. The coast guard doesn't go around with a DYNO and demand that you prove the power output of your IB/OB engine.

Actually No, the camshafts are different, as well as the fuel injection system, that's where they get the 20hp difference:

(1996-’98 VIN "X" WITH BALANCE SHAFT: The VIN "X" engine replaced the VIN "Z" in ’95. It is identical to the ’96 VIN "W" engine except for a milder cam and 10 less horsepower. The cam is a p/n 10241692.)

(1996-’98 VIN "W" WITH BALANCE SHAFT: The VIN "W" engine has a 10541691 camshaft and makes 10 more horsepower than the VIN "X" engine. There is also a special roller cam for the VIN "Z" turbocharged engines (p/n 10214714) along with a couple more with a fuel pump lobe for marine and industrial applications, but these are the common ones that were used in most of the cars and trucks. All of these cams can be identified by the last three digits of the part number that is stamped on the barrel of the cam, just behind the last lobe and in front of the distributor gear.)

AND, The cam I recommended previously, is the best of them all, it's from the:

(1992-’95 VIN "W" WITH BALANCE SHAFT: The premium high output engine came with central fuel injection, a balance shaft and a better cam starting in ’92. The original cam, p/n 10144047, was used from ’92 to ’94. It was replaced by p/n 10241693 in ’95. They are comparable grinds so most rebuilders are interchanging them.)

Source: www.S10forum.com

So you can NOT put a vortec setup on a 1980s block??