4.3l to 5.7l swap ?'s

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: 4.3l to 5.7l swap ?'s

his propeller has a fixed shift of 6 inches. It is in effect a 23" prop that starts at 17". It is spring loaded to set the shift RPM.

At 23" it is too much prop for his current setup, but if hes has the shift point set properly he should be able to run all day at 17" without shifting.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I was referring to the adjustment(RPM)for the shift point.
When the propeller is set to shift with two people on board and the next time out there are six people on board the propeller will shift too early and the hull won't get on plane.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Explain how adding weight to the boat will effect the centrifugal force applied to the weights and thus alter the shift point.

Or have you had one setup to shift at about the same time the boat is coming on plane?

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

I was referring to the adjustment(RPM)for the shift point.
When the propeller is set to shift with two people on board and the next time out there are six people on board the propeller will shift too early and the hull won't get on plane.

I leave the shift point the same almost all the time, the boat is up on a plain before it shifts if i have 2 or 10 people in the boat, it shifts at about 5000k if i use about 95% of the throtal at about 48-4900 rpm, when i want it to shift i nail it for 2-3 seconds and it shifts right where i want it to regardless of how many people are in the boat. the weight in the boat only effects how long it takes to get on plane and moving fast enough to iniatiate the shift,.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Or have you had one setup to shift at about the same time the boat is coming on plane?

The propeller is adjusted for the load on the boat, at lest the three I own need to be, maybe we aren't talking about a Quicksilver Power 2.
The ones I have use three screws on the face of the spring preload.
This either adds or subtracted spring preload, changing the amount of rpm needed to shift the propeller. When it's adjusted correctly, the boat is on plane in one boat length, yes, like it was shot out of a cannon.
The one I'm using now is a 19 pitch. The boat is a 23 footer 2850 LBS. dry, 330 hp MIE 454 with a Alpha 1 w/ 1.32:1 gearing and a Land and Sea sternjack. When the propeller is adjusted correctly (on board weight) the shift point is a hair after the hull is on plane.

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

The propeller is adjusted for the load on the boat, at lest the three I own need to be, maybe we aren't talking about a Quicksilver Power 2.
The ones I have use three screws on the face of the spring preload.
This either adds or subtracted spring preload, changing the amount of rpm needed to shift the propeller. When it's adjusted correctly, the boat is on plane in one boat length, yes, like it was shot out of a cannon.
The one I'm using now is a 19 pitch. The boat is a 23 footer 2850 LBS. dry, 330 hp MIE 454 with a Alpha 1 w/ 1.32:1 gearing and a Land ans Sea sternjack. When the propeller is adjusted correctly (on board weight) the shift point is a hair after the hull is on plane.

Understood, but we are comparing a viper to a VW Bug, you have way way more power to weight ratio, it takes about 6-8 boat lengths for my boat to get on plane, when it does i dont want it to shift right away, i need it to pick up speed on plane before it shifts so it does not bog down the puney motor. hence the 5.7l swap

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Mine has enough preload on it to delay the shift until 4500. I can pull tubers and skiers without making any changes.