4.3 Will not start!!!

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1989 mercruiser with the 4.3 we were out on the lake last weekend and the alternator amp gauge spiked all the way up. shortly after we smelled something like electric smoke coming from the motor. we killed the motor and found the big red wire that connects to the alt had melted off and the alt had some smoke coming out of it. now the motor will not start. i checked the pos to the coil and it has 9.7 volts. i took the coil wire off the distributor and tested against a ground for spark. could not see any, but it shocked the hell out of me! also the coil was piping hot. so i bought a new one. still nothing. any advise? has anyone ever had this problem? what should i test for? also will the motor start w/out the alt installed ? thank you for the help

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3 Will not start!!!

Im not sure about the motor starting without the Alt. installed but I would 1st check the ALt and see if its any good to begin with as you will most certainly need it one way or another. Once you know its good and works properly then Id begin to worrie about the starting issue. Obviously you have an electrical problem and Id make sure all thats corrected before anything else.

If its just a bad wire conenction, cool thats an easy fix but the smoking alt. and spiked VOLTAGE is not good. You could have damaged the battery and everything else electrical. Ive been there before with an older boat so thats why I say get on that right now.