4.3 vortec Mercruiser..lots of questions

flashback

Captain
200 hundred with trailer tells you something, you may have a decent trailer but now you need to dispose of the boat.

43vortec

Cadet
Test the manifolds with acetone before reusing them. Acetone will wick through cracks better than water.

cheapest way is to get a truck 4.3 fro. Wrecking yard and Marinize it.

if there is room in front yiu could upgrade to a 5.0/5.7 fairly easily too.

I did a similar project in winter of 2015/16. 2004 Sea Ray200 sport . po had cracked the 4.3 only had 37 hrs. Bought a partial 5.0 with exhaust manifolds swapped accessories off the 4.3 did it fairly cheap.
Interesting idea. How about things like motor mount and outboard? Would that all match or need work/be replaced?

Is there an specific engine I should be looking for?

Bondo

Staff member
Interesting idea. How about things like motor mount and outboard? Would that all match or need work/be replaced?

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Only the Long Block would be used, all of the other parts, 'n pieces will come from yer cracked motor,....

Scott06

Admiral

Interesting idea - which the upgrade or using a wrecking yard engine?

Any of these get a 96 and up vortec chevy truck engine.

the 4.3 was developed by taking a 350/5.7 sbc and cutting out two middle cylinders. the front and back of the blocks are the same (except for metric 4.3 090M casting bolt threads are metric), the engine is about 4" longer. So side motor mounts and engine front are 4-5 inches farther forward. If your boat was offered like mine with both 4.3 and V8 engines from factory likely it will easily fit.

On my 200 sport the engine mounting stringers were about 12" long so the side mounts side front or rear of stringer depending on if it 4.3 or V8. The engine compartment had enough space in front. The flywheel cover, starter, wiring harness, fuel pump, distributor (need to change trigger wheel and cap and ignition module), accessories etc all swapped over. I kept the V6 outdrive (gearing is different between engine sizes) and stepped up 2" in prop pitch

Would not recommend it if you have to modify the boat..

If you are talking about the wrecking yard 4.3 - as Bondo states strip it to the long block, put in marine head gaskets, brass core plugs, marine circ pump and take all the accessories off your old engine and put them on the donor long block.

If you have done an engine in a car this is actually easier. As long as you have a lifting device- beam in a shop/chain fall, wrecker with a boom, or small crane the engine can be pulled in about an hour, 2 if you screw around...

43vortec

Cadet
Interesting idea - which the upgrade or using a wrecking yard engine?

Any of these get a 96 and up vortec chevy truck engine.

the 4.3 was developed by taking a 350/5.7 sbc and cutting out two middle cylinders. the front and back of the blocks are the same (except for metric 4.3 090M casting bolt threads are metric), the engine is about 4" longer. So side motor mounts and engine front are 4-5 inches farther forward. If your boat was offered like mine with both 4.3 and V8 engines from factory likely it will easily fit.

On my 200 sport the engine mounting stringers were about 12" long so the side mounts side front or rear of stringer depending on if it 4.3 or V8. The engine compartment had enough space in front. The flywheel cover, starter, wiring harness, fuel pump, distributor (need to change trigger wheel and cap and ignition module), accessories etc all swapped over. I kept the V6 outdrive (gearing is different between engine sizes) and stepped up 2" in prop pitch

Would not recommend it if you have to modify the boat..

If you are talking about the wrecking yard 4.3 - as Bondo states strip it to the long block, put in marine head gaskets, brass core plugs, marine circ pump and take all the accessories off your old engine and put them on the donor long block.

If you have done an engine in a car this is actually easier. As long as you have a lifting device- beam in a shop/chain fall, wrecker with a boom, or small crane the engine can be pulled in about an hour, 2 if you screw around...
getting around this project again..so near me I have a 4.3 and a 5.0lx motors for sale ready to drop in. Thoughts on the 5.0lx? Would it be a "direct" replacement as far as motor mounts and connecting to the outdrive?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You have to check if the engine mount pads on your boat are long enough. The V8 block is longer so there is no way around that, the mounts are 3.5–4” forward of the V6 mounts. On mine they are and I’m guessing that if the boat was available with both engines they could be. The other issue is the outdrive gear ratio; the V6 ratio might limit your top speed with the V8…

43vortec

Cadet
You have to check if the engine mount pads on your boat are long enough. The V8 block is longer so there is no way around that, the mounts are 3.5–4” forward of the V6 mounts. On mine they are and I’m guessing that if the boat was available with both engines they could be. The other issue is the outdrive gear ratio; the V6 ratio might limit your top speed with the V8…
Yea I checked on that previously..v8 was not an option (2001 Sea Ray 185) only 3.0 and 4.3. The extra HP would be nice but just dropping another 4.3 without having to make significant changes makes more sense

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
before putting tons of money into it, what kind of condition is the rest of the boat? If it's an 18' or so, stick with the 4.3, 20' and over, V8 conversion makes sense if you need a new motor. I thought of doing that on mine too but was able to get by with a top end overhaul, didn't have to pull the engine for that.

43vortec

Cadet
before putting tons of money into it, what kind of condition is the rest of the boat? If it's an 18' or so, stick with the 4.3, 20' and over, V8 conversion makes sense if you need a new motor. I thought of doing that on mine too but was able to get by with a top end overhaul, didn't have to pull the engine for that.
fiberglass/hull nothing wrong at all. Trailer looks brand new and tires were replaced a couple years ago. cushions will need some work but I keeping my eyes open on marketplace for replacements. Yea I'm sticking with the 4.3 so it will make things easier on me.