4.3 vortec internal balancer blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to start a new thread on this issue based off of my old topic linked here: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-outdrives/9308282-91-larson-4-3-timing-issue

I have a 91' Larson with a 4.3 second gen vortec motor. It had been replaced prior to my ownership. I have been all over this motor trying to get it straightened out. I am mostly done. (cannot give serial and model numbers as the cover on the breather is from the first gen motor)

My internal balancer is knocking loudly. I know it is the balancer as I have previously disconnected the drive gear for it behind the timing chain, and ran the motor to WOT with no knock. Then when I re-assembled it, the knock came back.

To my question:

My boat still has the factory fluid motor mounts. As I am learning the first gen vortec motors did not have the internal balancing and relied on the fluid mounts to take up motor vibration.

Cant I disconnect the internal balancer and rely on the fluid mounts to do the same job they would have originally?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fun Times

Staff member
I want to start a new thread on this issue.
Hi there thegoat86, Sorry but due to the strong possibility of confusion between your first topic and this topic covering pretty much the same question, it is preferred by the hosts of iboats that we continue to discuss your engine knock and what style motor mounts to use in your first topic. The quote below is from iboats forum rules. I'll make a copy of your post above and move it on over for you.

11. Please do not post multiple threads in multiple forums about a single problem. This is confusing to those trying to help you. Multiple threads in the same forum about the same issue are also confusing. If you want help fast, one thread in the most closely related forum is the best way to get it.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/407734-forum-rules

Thank you in advance for your understanding!:)
iboats Mod team

Status
Not open for further replies.