4.3 valve cover gaskets

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
Starboard valve cover gasket on my 4.3 GL-J is weeping some oil - at least I think it is based on oil dripping onto inside of exhaust manifold and spark plug wires on that side. Was going to pull it this weekend and examine. Hoping to get away with not having to remove the exhaust riser on that side, but not sure if that is possible.

Any watchouts on these? The valve covers are the center bolt Vortec style. I am assuming normal automotive grade gaskets are OK here? If nothing visibly wrong with the gasket, is it re-usable? The gasket that is in there should be pretty new - guy I bought the boat from recently just put a reman engine in it, only about 15 hours on the engine now.

wrench 3

Commander
If the engine was just rebuilt they probably didn't get the cover into place properly. It's not uncommon to have to squeeze the long sides of the cover in, to get it to drop down over the ridge on the head. It would still be a good idea to pull it off and inspect things. It should come off with the manifold in place but I wouldn't want to guarantee it. The exhaust manifolds aren't hard to remove but remove the spark plugs first so that they don't get broken.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
One other thing - When valve cover gaskets leak, the first instinct is to tighten them down some more. This causes the gasket to be squished out. Use new gaskets and try to tighten enough to compress the gasket slightly + just a little more.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get new felpro gaskets from your local FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Place). it comes with new rubber washers for under the center bolts and a new rubber gasket

nearly all 4.3 liters have center bolt valve covers, only the early 1985 model year had perimeter bolts. if you walk into a parts store and the guy asks for year, make model, find a different parts store. if you walk in and they ask perimiter or center, then you buy parts from them

GA has you there on the over-tightening that most people do.

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys - I was eyeing up the felpro gaskets already so you just confirmed I am headed in right direction. Headed down the road to the auto parts store in a bit to grab some.

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
should have asked this before - same situation on exhaust manifold gaskets? i.e. are auto parts OK here too? Can't imagine why not, and after looking at the engine this evening not sure that I can get the valve cover on properly without pulling the exhaust on that side.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Think more like header gasket vs stock cast iron manifold gasket.

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
Easy enough job to do. I was able to get the valve cover off just fine without pulling the exhaust out. Removing the small check valve that connects between the exhaust riser and the carb was enough to give me clearance.

The only defect I saw was that the guy who put the reman engine in and sold the boat to me did his best to make the top of the engine look "volvo red", including spray painting the valve covers apparently without removing the gaskets first. There were traces of paint on the sides and mating surfaces of the old gasket. Probably enough to allow a small channel of oil to weep through.

All cleaned up now and new felpro gasket and grommets in place.

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
Haven't had the boat out yet since changing the valve cover gaskets, but while trolling through forum archives last night ran across a post someone made about a missing plug in the casting for the starboard dipstick on the engine. Thought hmmmmm....maybe that could have also been a source of oil leakage. I checked it this morning on the way out of the garage, and sure enough there is no plug in the starboard oil dipstick hole. The guy that replaced the engine must have forgotten that.

Looking quickly online, I found part numbers for that type of plug for 5.0/5.7 engines, but they did not reference it as fitting a 4.3. My guess is that it is the same though. Anyone know for sure? I will swing by auto parts store on way home tonight and hoping that they stock them.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ford red?
Back in the day it was:
Chevrolet Orange
Ford Blue
Oldsmobile green
Mopar bluish green

Older Volvos were red, then in the joint venture with OMC era they were charcoal like OMC engines, then back to red. I agree with the tightening, it was even worse back in the old days with the perimeter valve covers, they would flex and leak pretty easily.

Bondo

Staff member
Looking quickly online, I found part numbers for that type of plug for 5.0/5.7 engines, but they did not reference it as fitting a 4.3. My guess is that it is the same though. Anyone know for sure? I will swing by auto parts store on way home tonight and hoping that they stock them.

Ayuh,..... There's no pressure, just abit of splash there,....

A little plastic plug from tubing or pipe will do,...
A little short bolt of the appropriate size lathered with silicone also works,... 3/8", I think,....

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
Auto parts store did not stock the plug, could only order it in a set with all of the freeze plugs.

Ended up just silicone'ing in a bolt. 3/8 bolt does not quite fit, hole is closer to .350" so I just filed off some of the threads. 5/16 was too sloppy for my tastes. Back on the water Friday, will see if she can hold her oil now.