4.3 V6 Alpha One - Cooling System

danosmith

Recruit
I have a newly purchased 1995 Wellcraft 21' SL Cuddy. It has the 4.3 XL Alpha One.
After starting it up on ear-muffs - all appeared well at idle. I then ran the engine up to about 1200 rpm to see it come up to temperature. After about 1 minute I saw smoke and stopped. Upon inspection the cooling hoses that connect to the lower part of the manifolds on both sides were smoking. There is a plastic piece that has a pet-**** valve the hose connects to the plastic piece, and the plastic piece is broken in half on both sides. Looks like the plastic piece is threaded. Anyway, I'm wondering what I've got on my hands now. I believe that there was no water/coolant running through the hoses at all, as none spilled out and they smoked/broke. Do I have a water pump out on top of the motor? Or I thought the impeller in the lower unit did the water pumping. Should I put a hose to the opening and see if I get water flow through the system? I'll go get a service manual, but wanted your expert help. Thanks.

Attachments

• boat-cooling-broken-plastic.jpg
    boat-cooling-broken-plastic.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3 V6 Alpha One - Cooling System

Or I thought the impeller in the lower unit did the water pumping.

Ayuh,... My guess is the Impeller is Junk, 'n it wasn't moving any water at all...
I'd also assume the shutters are fried, 'n the exhaust couplings are burnt up...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A hint on your picture, copy the URL of the full size picture, not the thumbnails, your picture is too small to see anything.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the pic shows the plastic elbow connecting a hose to the manifold. the blue plug is threaded into it, it is NOT a valve.