4.3 omc cobra no start

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
I am getting spark through a
lol cylinders and when I test it with a inline tester it’s blue but when I do the old fashion way it’s a weaker spark like orangeish abd yes the compression is 135 all around imma try hooking up my jump box for some extra juice and use gas down the carb instead of starting fluid abd see what happens
I’ll try to get some pictures or videos of the spark to show y’all for you can see what I mean

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Try unplugging the ESA switch wiring sometimes that can get stuck on and kill the spark.

Bondo

Staff member
Not arguing with anyone that dwell is the best way, its not needed to get it to start. Doesn't need to be exact to get the motor to run. Something is missing
Ayuh,...... Back when book matches were common,........
The cover's thickness would get a points ignition, "Runnin' ",.....

My Inova timin' light does it All, includin' dwell,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ayuh,...... Back when book matches were common,........
The cover's thickness would get a points ignition, "Runnin' ",.....

My Inova timin' light does it All, includin' dwell,.....
I believe that is the 5568

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe that is the 5568
Yup I've got the same one. My thoughts on this is to go about this methodically with the right tools and set everything up correctly and you will figure out what is wrong.

I would recommend picking up an adjustable spark plug tester so you can set the gap on it and measure how strong your spark really is. And then setting points correctly using dwell. My point gap per the manual was .019 and after setting dwell correctly with my new points the actual gap was closer to .011. if you've got strong blue spark jumping 1/2" gap and dwell is correct I'd say verify timing then start chasing a fuel issue.

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys sorry about the late response I checked the spark again by myself and saw it’s pretty damn orange and looks to be delayed sparking too I’m attaching a video for y’all can see what I mean

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    9.9 MB · Views: 2

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys sorry about the late response I checked the spark again by myself and saw it’s pretty damn orange and looks to be delayed sparking too I’m attaching a video for y’all can see what I mean
Here’s another video the first one was gapped at .018 and the second video is gapped at .010

Attachments

• IMG_0529.MOV
    9.7 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I get sound but no pic/mov
Either way, being orange and unable to jump the gap, that's the issue

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
I get sound but no pic/mov
Either way, being orange and unable to jump the gap, that's the issue
So then what could cause a spark to get weaker cause like I said it did start when I first got it but now obviously dealing with this orange spark

alldodge

Staff member
Things that can cause a weak spark
High resistive wires, bad condenser, points not opening far enough after closing, bad dizzy cap, low voltage due to bad connection, defective coil and a bad ground

The bad ground normally doesn't happen but it can. If the dizzy isn't grounded good, then when the points close the coil doesn't gett full discharge

kenny nunez

Captain
There is something else to try, get a jumper wire and connect the + or Bat side of the coil to a constant 12 volt source, spin the engine over and check the color of the spark. Your problem may be the ignition by-pass circuit in the solenoid.
In the meantime try to get a dwell meter. If you get one be sure to ground the coil wire while spinning the engine with the plugs out. This way you will have the setting dead on.

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
There is something else to try, get a jumper wire and connect the + or Bat side of the coil to a constant 12 volt source, spin the engine over and check the color of the spark. Your problem may be the ignition by-pass circuit in the solenoid.
In the meantime try to get a dwell meter. If you get one be sure to ground the coil wire while spinning the engine with the plugs out. This way you will have the setting dead on.
I tried jumping it and doesn’t seem to have any difference in spark strength but I did just get a dwell meter so I plan to try to use that tomorrow any advice on the best way to use one I’ve never had one before

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You set the dwell meter setting on the 6 cyl setting and the positive lead from the meter gets hooked up to the coil negative terminal the negative lead from the meter gets hooked up to the battery negative or engine ground. Crank the engine over & read the meter. Point gap & dwell are inversely related; dwell angle too small means that point gap is too big & viceversa.

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
You set the dwell meter setting on the 6 cyl setting and the positive lead from the meter gets hooked up to the coil negative terminal the negative lead from the meter gets hooked up to the battery negative or engine ground. Crank the engine over & read the meter. Point gap & dwell are inversely related; dwell angle too small means that point gap is too big & viceversa
So then what’s considered the correct dwell angle for this model engine?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You might consider getting a shop manual and learning All the basics as I spent the last 50 years doing myself! This never ceases to amaze me. The internet is not a shop manual!
If you really intend to get this thing running well enough to actually use it’s time to get serious and learn the right way….
But since you asked it’s 39* + or - 2*. Gap is .018”. Timing 6* BTDC. Total timing advance is 18*@3200 rpm (6* base + 12* centrifugal). Plug gap is 0.035”. AC MR43T.
the rest you gotta go on eBay and buy a manual and learn….

Last edited:

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
You might consider getting a shop manual and learning All the basics as I spent the last 50 years doing myself! This never ceases to amaze me. The internet is not a shop manual!
If you really intend to get this thing running well enough to actually use it’s time to get serious and learn the right way….
But since you asked it’s 39* + or - 2*. Gap is .018”. Timing 6* BTDC. Total timing advance is 18*@3200 rpm (6* base + 12* centrifugal). Plug gap is 0.035”. AC MR43T.
the rest you gotta go on eBay and buy a manual and learn….
Thank you for your advice but I guess that is where are opioid differ the internet was created to connect us all for we can share an pass down knowledge the things you have all said is from past experiences of your own that’s not something your gonna find in a manual that’s why it’s better not to limit yourself to only one form of knowledge after 50years in the field I’d assume you’d have learned that but I do appreciate all of your help and advice I’ll be sure to stop bothering you with my own problems

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
All the knowledge I have came from 50 years of self teaching it started with basics you get from manuals then if you can’t get your question answered from the manual then we used to ask real mechanics now you can ask on the net but the net has a lot of mis-information. I don’t mean to be harsh just sharing with you the BEST way to learn. Just wait till you have to replace the shift cable on one of these. Without the special tools (available from various sources) and the manual you’d be lost. When I knew my OMC mechanics were retiring I got the special OMC tools and taught myself.
these can be found on eBay & other sources the 2nd one explains how ignition systems work. Hard to fix it if you don’t know how it’s supposed to work…

88EDF544-CCE7-42E3-B4D0-E221D79A30F1.jpegimage.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Thank you for your advice but I guess that is where are opioid differ the internet was created to connect us all for we can share an pass down knowledge the things you have all said is from past experiences of your own that’s not something your gonna find in a manual that’s why it’s better not to limit yourself to only one form of knowledge after 50years in the field I’d assume you’d have learned that but I do appreciate all of your help and advice I’ll be sure to stop bothering you with my own problems
Most of us enjoy the questions, otherwise we would have to find something else to do :cool:

Xlanci

Seaman Apprentice
All the knowledge I have came from 50 years of self teaching it started with basics you get from manuals then if you can’t get your question answered from the manual then we used to ask real mechanics now you can ask on the net but the net has a lot of mis-information. I don’t mean to be harsh just sharing with you the BEST way to learn. Just wait till you have to replace the shift cable on one of these. Without the special tools (available from various sources) and the manual you’d be lost. When I knew my OMC mechanics were retiring I got the special OMC tools and taught myself.
these can be found on eBay & other sources the 2nd one explains how ignition systems work. Hard to fix it if you don’t know how it’s supposed to work…

View attachment 352943View attachment 352944
I understand what your saying but it’s just not my preferred way of learning trust me I have plenty of manuals I’m a a&p student but I’ve read most all the manuals retaining to this engine and even other engines and it always just teaches you in one fixed perspective but when you ask different people you get different responses based on passed experience that’s what I believe is the best way to learn cause your never limited to just one reference but that’s just my own opinion