4.3 no power to fuel pump

TFain

Recruit
Took the boat out one last time last year. It started, backed off the trailer, then it died. swam it back to the trailer, back home, Installed new relay and pump, still not working. Put it up for the winter.
Today, troubleshooting the problem.
I have power to the relay from the breaker but I am not getting power to the relay from the ignition switch. No power with the key on or while turning over. Thought?

TFain

Recruit
Took the boat out one last time last year. It started, backed off the trailer, then it died. swam it back to the trailer, back home, Installed new relay and pump, still not working. Put it up for the winter.
Today, troubleshooting the problem.
I have power to the relay from the breaker but I am not getting power to the relay from the ignition switch. No power with the key on or while turning over. Thought?
Jumped the relay so the pump would run and it started. With the engine running, I checked the L1 port on the alternator and it showed no voltage.
So, Bad Alternator?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is your boat carbureted or EFI? that determines how the fuel pump relay is wired.

if carbureted, there are two leads, one from the starter I terminal, and one from the alternator. both with a diode

If EFI, the ECM controls the relay.

have the alternator tested. Alternator wont generate output unless the excite wire is energized.

what is common is the purple wire from the key switch.

Man overboard switch tripped? that would allow cranking, however no fuel pump or no ignition

TFain

Recruit
Engine is carbureted. I am not getting any voltage from the L1 port on the alternator while running. I am not getting any voltage to the relay with the key on or in the start position.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
A typical internally regulated alternator has a smallish wire for sense (always has voltage). Another smallish wire provides voltage for excite (key on). And a large wire for alternator output. And ground via the case.

TFain

Recruit
I replaced the alternator and found i now have a problem with the ignition switch. Will fix that later.
With that said, I took the fuel line off the pump intake and blew into the gas tank without restriction and also could not suck fuel up the fuel line. Could it be the anti syphon valve ? Help?

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
How did you try and suck gas from the fuel line? If it was your mouth I would guess you don't have enough suction.