4.3 GXI Volvo Penta Engines are Chevy Vortec in an empergency can car ECM be used ?

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My alternator had a spike in volts and it burned out my coil
Volvo Penta coil , was costly-
Replaced alternator with a marine alternator but no VP
Started too think if coils were so costly , how much is the computer , WOW another costly VP product
Do any of you know if Napa sells a ECM that can work in a bind , or what years ECM from other vortec truck engines
Engines are twin 2004
4,3 GXI - BF

tpenfield

Staff member
The ECM has specific fuel and timing 'mappings' based on the load profile for the engine in its specific use. Since boat engines typically handle loads about 10X that of automotive use, I would think that the 'mappings' would be way off.

I'd be surprised if an automotive ECM would work. An ECM for a truck engine may be closer to what is needed than that of a car, but probably still way off IMO.

Not sure automotive purposed ECM's are at bargain prices either.

As far as replacement part costs, yes VP tends to inflate the prices of their branded parts. However, many of them are re-packaged GM or other industry source parts. Mercruiser does the same thing as far as re-branding/repackaging. You can often get a few numbers off the part in question and find a more reasonably priced source.

I have done this on a few of the sensors on my Mercruiser engines. (example: IAC, TPS, MAP sensors). The cost was about 1/3 for the exact same part.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
NO, in addition to the mapping mentioned, the ECM in a marine motor is a completely different manufacturer/style of ECM than anything on the road. if you re-wired it and re-programmed it and then created a custom fuel map, and remove all the TCM and BCM communicaion, you may get the motor to fire. however to go thru that exercise, you would have already bought a new ECM that works and been boating for 6 months.

the sensors are COTS components like Ted mentioned. the ECM is not.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
The ECM has specific fuel and timing 'mappings' based on the load profile for the engine in its specific use. Since boat engines typically handle loads about 10X that of automotive use, I would think that the 'mappings' would be way off..

So, I will add to this. The answer is no, it will not work, but it has nothing to due with the mapping or programing or anything like that. The reason it won't work is because the wiring connectors/plugs are all completely different than anything automotive. A 2004 GXI engine is probably going to have a MEFI4 based ECM. MEFI4's, along with MEFI everything, were never used in cars. The wiring harness that plugs into that MEFI4 ECM, was also never used in cars. You can't stick a square peg in a round hole and if the plugs don't fit, you must acquit. The connectors are all simply different.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The biggest problems with these engines is that both Merc and Volvo have the nasty habit of making parts like engine ECM's NLA after about 15 years or so. What does the owner do then? I know auto ECMs can be remanufactured, can marine ones be done as well? If not the only other option would be to go back to a carb engine where everything is available in the aftermarket. Nice to have the better starting/running of EFI but if you can't get parts.....