4.3 GXI Pressure Test

Ltmeat

Cadet
First start of the season last weekend and had water streaming into bilge behind front right motor mount. Figured it's the "core" plug or what some call "freeze" plug got pushed out. I drained blocks before winter but there must have been some residual left. After replacing the core plug I want to do a pressure test to see if I have a crack somewhere. Praying I don't but I want to be sure. I'll check oil for water but pressure test will tell for sure. How do I do the pressure test? Best way to seal off hoses etc? Thanks for any input.

alldodge

Staff member
Plug the hose going to the thermostat housing from the water pump

Plug hoses going to exhaust manifold s and elbows.

Install a schrader valve and pressure gauge to one of the hoses to be plugged.

Pressurize to 15 psi

Ltmeat

Cadet
Plug the hose going to the thermostat housing from the water pump

Plug hoses going to exhaust manifold s and elbows.

Install a schrader valve and pressure gauge to one of the hoses to be plugged.

Pressurize to 15 psi
Thank you sir for the information! What is best used to plug the hoses and install schrader valve and gauge since they are large in diameter? First time doing this so I apologize if silly question.

alldodge

Staff member
Pretty much anything solid, pvc pipe with a cap, rubber plug, wood dowel

Ltmeat

Cadet
Pretty much anything solid, pvc pipe with a cap, rubber plug, wood dowel
Thank you... my boat is at the lake so I don't have access to see the size of the hoses I need to plug. I assume 1 inch and 2 inch? How would I plug one with schrader valve and pressure gauge? Trying to get what I need without making trips to store after traveling to lake.

alldodge

Staff member
I would guess hoses are probably 5/8 ID, and if correct then I would use 1/2 inch SCH 80 PVC pipe, with solid cap.

Find brass Tee and other fittings to connect schrader and gauge to PVC cap. Drill hole in cap then thread brass fitting in.

Most raw water intake lines are 1 1/4 ID to the thermostat housing

I'm not positive about your motor, maybe a VP guy will comment