4.3 Gxi max rpm 4100

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. Maybe being silly here...but is that ecu data readout suggesting that the engine has never been over 4000rpm ? Seems there are no hours logged at all over 4001 rpm. Surely not ? That would mean it’s been over propped since new. Very unlikely.
perhaps I’m reading it wrong (I’m viewing on a phone)

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
what did the temp gauge on the dash read during these runs?

Z3cta

Cadet
what did the temp gauge on the dash read during these runs?

in the winter months from cold to about 100-135, and in the summer months as I explained earlier even upwards the 180 / 190 at low / no wake zone speeds. Temperature at speeds stays right but when I slow down it spikes up

Z3cta

Cadet
Ok. Maybe being silly here...but is that ecu data readout suggesting that the engine has never been over 4000rpm ? Seems there are no hours logged at all over 4001 rpm. Surely not ? That would mean it’s been over propped since new. Very unlikely.
perhaps I’m reading it wrong (I’m viewing on a phone)

Very good point, now that you mentioned I have 1.2 hrs between 4000-5000 RPM and MAx engine rpm logged @ 4915 RPM

muc

in the winter months from cold to about 100-135, and in the summer months as I explained earlier even upwards the 180 / 190 at low / no wake zone speeds. Temperature at speeds stays right but when I slow down it spikes up

Are these numbers from before or after you replaced the impeller and thermostat?

What did the gauge read while you were making the recordings?

Do you have a good volt ohm meter and the knowledge to use it?

Z3cta

Cadet
Are these numbers from before or after you replaced the impeller and thermostat?

What did the gauge read while you were making the recordings?

Do you have a good volt ohm meter and the knowledge to use it?

These numbers are after ( I have no history of before since this boat is new to me) and yes I am somewhat handy around an ohm meter)

Temp gauge was at 60-135 while recording ( i felt like that was running on the cold side but the lake is at 55*)

I can do another lake test if that crucial and can get proper numbers

muc

Thanks for your answers. I had hoped to reply tonight, but it's been too busy. Will try to finish my post tomorrow.

One more question. Do you have a copy of Volvo Penta Workshop manual -- EFI Diagnostic p/n 7742218 ?
The other manual that would come in handy is Volvo Penta Workshop Manual -- Engine Mechanical 4.3L p/n 7743365

They are old enough that they maybe online.

Z3cta

Cadet
Thanks for your answers. I had hoped to reply tonight, but it's been too busy. Will try to finish my post tomorrow.

One more question. Do you have a copy of Volvo Penta Workshop manual -- EFI Diagnostic p/n 7742218 ?
The other manual that would come in handy is Volvo Penta Workshop Manual -- Engine Mechanical 4.3L p/n 7743365

They are old enough that they maybe online.

i do not have any of the mentioned workshop manual.....sorry...maybe I should look into getting one

muc

i do not have any of the mentioned workshop manual.....sorry...maybe I should look into getting one

Yes they will help.

One of your problems is the ECM thinks the engine is running cold. It is up to you to determine if it is.
This can be done a few different ways.
Could use a IR temp gun to check actual temp to what ECM thinks it is.
Ohm meter to compare resistance of sensor to the table that's in the service manual.
Unplugging sensor while diacom is running to see what temp ECM shows, Should read -22°F. Then jumper the 2 connectors and see that it reads 266°F.
The #7742218 manual walks you thru all the tests.

But my guess is still a bad thermostat or it's possible that the oring that holds it in place has come out of position.

Summer to winter temp shouldn't change that much. You need to track down why it does. Lake temp of 55° shouldn't have any effect.

A rule of thumb.
Running hot at idle that goes away with increased RPM usually points to a old impeller that has taken a "set".
A air leak on the suction side usually causes hot running that gets worse with increased RPM's.
Notice I said "usually" because there are other factors that can come into play.

When you pull the thermostat housing to check the thermostat. It is best practice to wire wheel the area that the thermostat sits in and where the oring fits. Also look in where the hose from the circulating pump connects. You should see a small passage about 1/2 way in. Run a coat hanger or some mechanics wire thru this passage to make sure it isn't blocked by impeller pieces. This is a very common problem with this design.

One thing that would have made this easier, would be to have done a compete scan of the engine. When you do the next scan, here is my recommendation on how to do the recording.
Start with a cold engine and the boat in the water.
1. connect Diacom
2. Turn on batt switch, turn on key switch -- but don't start engine
3. start Diacom recording -- let run for 30 seconds to one minute
4. start engine
5. check that Diacom is still recording, it's not uncommon for it to have lost communication during starting. If it did, save that recording and start another one.
6. run the boat gently at idle to 1500 RPM until up to operating temp
7. run the boat up to full speed --- take your time, looking to get data here so advance the throttle slowly (spend one to two minutes) now slow back down to minimum wake and idle in neutral for awhile. Use the trim as you normally would.
8. Do a "ski start" -- full throttle all the way to full speed and trimmed out, now back to idle fairly quickly.
9. drive boat back to the dock/ramp and shut off
10. stop recording and name the file

One other thing I noticed when reviewing your file. When graphing I see the battery voltage fluctuating a bit more then normal. This can point to a diode in the alternator going bad or a loose connection. Would be a good idea to do a "ripple test". To do this have the engine running about 1500RPM and test the AC voltage at the battery, should see less then 0.25 volts AC.

Also, when it comes to testing vs replacement of parts like the thermostat and temp sensor. I highly recommend testing them. I have gotten too many bad parts brand new in the box that are bad to ever trust replacement as a troubleshooting tool.

AllDodge has the correct part number in post #20 for your ECM temp sender. Volvo parts descriptions can sometimes be unusual.

I see nothing unusual in your engine run times. They look very common.

Z3cta

Cadet
Yes they will help.

One of your problems is the ECM thinks the engine is running cold. It is up to you to determine if it is.
This can be done a few different ways.
Could use a IR temp gun to check actual temp to what ECM thinks it is.
Ohm meter to compare resistance of sensor to the table that's in the service manual.
Unplugging sensor while diacom is running to see what temp ECM shows, Should read -22°F. Then jumper the 2 connectors and see that it reads 266°F.
The #7742218 manual walks you thru all the tests.

But my guess is still a bad thermostat or it's possible that the oring that holds it in place has come out of position.

Summer to winter temp shouldn't change that much. You need to track down why it does. Lake temp of 55° shouldn't have any effect.

A rule of thumb.
Running hot at idle that goes away with increased RPM usually points to a old impeller that has taken a "set".
A air leak on the suction side usually causes hot running that gets worse with increased RPM's.
Notice I said "usually" because there are other factors that can come into play.

When you pull the thermostat housing to check the thermostat. It is best practice to wire wheel the area that the thermostat sits in and where the oring fits. Also look in where the hose from the circulating pump connects. You should see a small passage about 1/2 way in. Run a coat hanger or some mechanics wire thru this passage to make sure it isn't blocked by impeller pieces. This is a very common problem with this design.

One thing that would have made this easier, would be to have done a compete scan of the engine. When you do the next scan, here is my recommendation on how to do the recording.
Start with a cold engine and the boat in the water.
1. connect Diacom
2. Turn on batt switch, turn on key switch -- but don't start engine
3. start Diacom recording -- let run for 30 seconds to one minute
4. start engine
5. check that Diacom is still recording, it's not uncommon for it to have lost communication during starting. If it did, save that recording and start another one.
6. run the boat gently at idle to 1500 RPM until up to operating temp
7. run the boat up to full speed --- take your time, looking to get data here so advance the throttle slowly (spend one to two minutes) now slow back down to minimum wake and idle in neutral for awhile. Use the trim as you normally would.
8. Do a "ski start" -- full throttle all the way to full speed and trimmed out, now back to idle fairly quickly.
9. drive boat back to the dock/ramp and shut off
10. stop recording and name the file

One other thing I noticed when reviewing your file. When graphing I see the battery voltage fluctuating a bit more than normal. This can point to a diode in the alternator going bad or a loose connection. Would be a good idea to do a "ripple test". To do this have the engine running about 1500 RPM and test the AC voltage at the battery, should see less then 0.25 volts AC.

Also, when it comes to testing vs replacement of parts like the thermostat and temp sensor. I highly recommend testing them. I have gotten too many bad parts brand new in the box that are bad to ever trust replacement as a troubleshooting tool.

AllDodge has the correct part number in post #20 for your ECM temp sender. Volvo parts descriptions can sometimes be unusual.

I see nothing unusual in your engine run times. They look very common.

wow muc, phenomnal write up, I am going to follow step by step and I know I will get to the bottom of this issue. Thank you SOOO MUCH for taking time out of your busy life to help !!!!!!

Z3cta

Cadet
If the 3916 was/is max RPM ..the TPS is only at 42% and not WOT

did not record the actual issue where it cuts off at 4200. I kept the boat under 4000 rpm in purpose of this recording, don't ask me why I didn't push it to where it cuts off :( ....I know I know... brain fart

muc

did not record the actual issue where it cuts off at 4200. I kept the boat under 4000 rpm in purpose of this recording, don't ask me why I didn't push it to where it cuts off :( ....I know I know... brain fart

Yes, you did record the problem. If you look at the smaller of the two files using the graph function. About 3/4 of the way thru the playback, you can see TPS go over 70%. At the same time the rev limiter turns on,off,on,off and the injector on time drops to zero,back up,zero,back up. It was these couple of seconds (and only these couple of seconds) that allow the diagnosis to be made.

Rereading the part of my post about battery voltage fluctuating. I don’t think I stressed enough how important this might be. I have no idea how long this has been going on. But if this was a MerCruiser ECM/PCM 555. My guess is that the computer would be (or soon to be) toast by now. The MEFI 4 controller is one of the most durable ECMs out there. But voltage spikes and fluctuations are one of the biggest killers of any ECM.