4.3 GL won't run over 2000 rpms under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm getting around 7 psi between the pump and carb.

With 7 psi your in great shape, but does it stay that way as you increase speed under load? Need to see what it goes to when you cannot get above 2000 rpm in the water

NWFL Chappy

Cadet
Put it in the water today to get some readings. Between the tank and fuel pump, it reads zero at idle and barely moves off zero at WOT which still doesn't exceed 2000 rpms. Between the pump and carb, 7-7.5 at idle, 8-8.5 at WOT. Talked to Marine Mechanic and he says my manifolds and risers may need replacing. How do you determine that?

alldodge

Staff member
Recon it time to check the basics.
Start with a compression test, should see around 150 psi
Note how the plugs look
Then timing

If VP used exhaust flappers I would check them, but they don't. As for the manifolds I don't see them getting clogged, rusted thru and leak water but not clogged. Could take the boots off the risers to the Y pipe to check for obstructions

alldodge

Staff member
I'm getting 170 psi on all cylinders but #2 which registers zero.

You lost 1/6th of all your hp and its probably a valve issue. Could be burnt, stuck, warped or broke valve seat. Guess it could also be a head gasket but those usually happen between cylinders. Time to pull the head and have a look

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
I'm getting 170 psi on all cylinders but #2 which registers zero.

Pull the valve cover first. Look for loose valves train components. You may have to spin motor over a little if not obvious. (try to get TDC)
May be just a pulled rocker stud.Pretty common and fairly simple fix

Bondo

Staff member
What is this special tee called?
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Please read, 'n follow our posting rules, 'n guidelines,......
Threads older than 90 days, are antiques, 'n only the original posters are allowed to bring 'em back to the top,......
Start a thread of yer own, 'n help will follow,....

Status
Not open for further replies.