3rd log for 2017 Sylvan pontoon

Wiread

Cadet
I have a new to us 2017 Sylvan 8522 Mirage CNF that i'm thinking of adding a 3rd log to. It's 23' with 25" diameter tubes and a 90HP Merc. It's rated for a 150 as a pontoon and can add a 250 as a tritoon.

My questions are, should my center tube also be a 25" or should I bump up to a 27".

Also I need to measure obviously, but boat is in the water at marina now, but our boat is a 23' pontoon. I have available a new 22' and 25" diameter tube locally that is priced right that might make me do this much sooner.

Is my current transom rated for 250 as long as a 3rd log is added? I assume so since the transom is separate from any log that will be added.

Thank you

ahicks

Captain
Given a choice, I would add a larger diameter center 'toon. They allow the boat to bank into a corner better.

I would not even consider the time, money, and trouble without some sort of lifting strake plan.

Still in this "perfect world" the new center tube would have a transom rated for whatever power I was considering. The current engine pod would be removed.

Last, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be more practical to sell the existing boat using the money from that sale to offset the price of what I really want.

Wiread

Cadet
Given a choice, I would add a larger diameter center 'toon. They allow the boat to bank into a corner better.

I would not even consider the time, money, and trouble without some sort of lifting strake plan.

Still in this "perfect world" the new center tube would have a transom rated for whatever power I was considering. The current engine pod would be removed.

Last, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be more practical to sell the existing boat using the money from that sale to offset the price of what I really want.
Thanks for the reply. As I thought about it more, it's not a very good idea. Happened to see the new toon practically being given away and started getting ideas without really thinking them thru.

At best I end up with 3/4 toon and that's just more weight and drag for my boat.

or I cut that toon open, add a gas tank, have a new transom custom welded etc and have to add hydraulic steering etc for an upgraded motor anyway.

I'm going to be far better off buying the boat I want in a season or 2 when the kids get bigger.