3M™ Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax

terry2626

Seaman
Here is what the 3M™ Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax is suppose to do. (Liquid, fiberglass restorer and wax designed to remove HEAVY oxidation, chalking, fading, minor scratches, rust and exhaust stains; plus provide protection on fiberglass/gelcoat and marine topside paints.) Has anyone used this and if so is it any good?

OldBoatGuy12

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3M™ Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax

I used it extensively not too long ago at all. It won't remove massive oxidation, but for the average boat with just a little, it does great. It tends to alter the color jussst a little. Not much at all though. I was very happy with it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It has real cutting agents in it. DO NOT try it on your car!! With a power buffer or orbital buffer it does a very nice job. I think the darn bottles are cheap so don't drop it or squeeze it hard or it will split wide open.

KaGee

Admiral

Works great on heavy oxidation and stains. I would add another wax coat though... a good marine wax with no cleaners.<br /><br />Like Bob said, you should use a buffer/polisher.

ghcoe

Cadet

I used it to take off heavy oxidation on my Blue Water. I had to use a rotary buffer to remove the oxidation with it, but it came out great. This was my first time using a rotary buffer and it went well. Took three weekends to finish the job.

terry2626

Seaman

thanks guys for the info. I was going to try it and have a go at with by hand, but after reading this i think (i know) i will use a buffer. AS far as another coat of wax. and info what kind or brand? Or will just any marine wax do the trick? By the way i am trying to restore a 1963 Razorback ski boat. that has been sitting out for the past 10-15 years or so.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Just about any wax will do except.... I have heard that marine wax does not leave the deck slippery. I have used Mother's with decent results and with the water wear and tear it does not last too long.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hmmm. I smell free advertising. Especially seeing as two of these supporting posts are from new members making their fist post.

Bob_VT

Staff member

JB kill the link!! Please this post is over a year old.