383 piston cc and compression

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 383 piston cc and compression

I'd suggest that you use a harmonic balancer that is indexed up to approx 35 degrees. You can purchase these that are already indexed for us. You won't need any numbers over 30/32 degrees and probably no where close to that.
7053_1_b.JPG

With the module that you plan to use, this will let you see exactly what your TA is @ 3,200 +/- rpm while in std strobe mode. If you did not build a squish/quench into this engine, be conservative on your TA.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Any idea if this ignition will work with my 383 project?

The rev limiter will prevent you from getting to your rpm goal. Also, you have no ability to adjust the profile.

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Greg! I'd love to see the part numbers for what you used. Yeah I'm leaning toward an aluminum head setup myself. Just seems like there is a fair amount of work to be done to the stock vortec heads to make them a performance head that will last. Also the resale value on an aluminum headed small block is alot better then a modified cast iron one. And if I ever sell the boat, I'll prob just put the factory 5L back in as most people would prob prefer it to a built engine they know nothing about.

And yeah I'm shooting for 65 but omg wouldn't touching 70 be awesome!!
Thanks for the ongoing help and advise

You can get EQ vortec heads that out flow the factory vortec heads pretty good for around $190 a piece bare. They did a pump gas build with them on a 350 that made 447 H.P. GMPP has a 185cc vortec head that may be a little better than the EQ vortec for $360 a piece bare.

I had planned on vortec heads for my 383 build but changed my my mind and went with the EQ 180cc performance head. They are a raised runner iron head with 2.02s and 160s and a fast burn chamber. My understanding of these heads is the molds used were of ported runners. I talked with a well known porter about these heads and he told me to use them instead of the vortecs and that they would have lots and lots of TQ down low and depending on the cam a lot more top end than the vortecs. Certain class of roundy rounders have switched over to them for the down low grunt comeing out of the corners. I'll let you know how they work out. Lol

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

Hey guys for some reason I can't access the non repair section anymore. I can get into any other sub forum but not this one. I have to access my email, new post notification to access this thread....... Can anyone help? Thanks for the info on the heads, I'll check them out. I've been also looking into patriot and rhs vortec style heads. I think I want a vortex head with 202/160 valves....

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys for some reason I can't access the non repair section anymore. I can get into any other sub forum but not this one. I have to access my email, new post notification to access this thread....... Can anyone help? Thanks for the info on the heads, I'll check them out. I've been also looking into patriot and rhs vortec style heads. I think I want a vortex head with 202/160 valves....

If you don't use basic vortec, the smart money would be to go aluminum of some sort. :)

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The EQ vortec and the RHS vortec iron heads are about neck and neck with each other. Both are thicker castings with out the crack problems of the factory vortec. The EQ can be had with or with out heat risers in the heads and are advertised as 176cc heads. They can be had for a lot less on ebay and are every bit the same quality as the RHS heads.