383 Initial Startup Problem

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 383 Initial Startup Problem

The step up springs are down in with the secondary rods. They determine when the rod starts to raise out of the hole. On each side of the carb you'll back off the screws holding down the small plates enough so the plate swings to the side. The plunger holding the rod will pop up and the spring is underneath. I run the pink springs in mine and they seem to give the best response.

I got the carb apart and put back together yesterday using the combo Tim suggested and the silver springs. If it ever stops raining I'll be able to get it installed and let you guys know how it runs.

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats!!!!

and sorry on the springs! that memory thing is getting worse... Not sure why the heck I said blue... should have been pink. Mine had a HUGE off idle fall on your face hole pretty much no matter what I did with jets and rods while it had the original orange spring in it, got better with the pink spring, lots better with silver, played with jets some more and wala. If I remember right, even when the plug reads looked good and things were running well at idle and most of the throttle and rpm range, I still had a little bit of an off idle lean hesitation. I think that opening up the idle screw a little more helped get rid of it.

Let us (me) know how it runs! enjoy putting it in and then eventually the satisfaction of riding around in it.

Not a problem! I was so happy to finally get it running and I figured that I needed to be in the pink/silver range. Once it gets put in I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

One last thing I forgot to mention (and I think Tim is running a similar exhaust setup so he may know)...

When I got the thing test fired I had the exhaust manifolds on (they're made by Stainless Marine and came with the boat) but not the risers. I noticed that if I revved the engine, a small bit of fire would shoot up from each header. It makes sense to me that this should be expected, but since I have no experience I thought I'd ask to see what the experts say.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

don't know that I would do that much... it's like running your car with no pipe on the exhaust manifold and yea... flames can come out a bit... bet that was loud as hell! stainless marine makes a nice set-up.