377mag random misfire

JFlo86

Cadet
Subject boat is a 2011 Chap 267ssx 6.2l. This is becoming a real headache for the dealer so I figured I would post this up for discussion. According to the service history this boat has had random misfire issues off and on since new- I'm the third owner, owned the boat for the last year, which I put on about 100hrs of trouble free operation.

The service history indicates replacement of the following:
-Lengthy diagnosis related to random misfire condition.
-PCM- eventually replaced due to random misfiring years ago according to history.
-Fuel module- paint chips.
-Injectors and rails removed to be cleaned- due to paint chipping.
-Cap Rotor Wires replaced two years ago.
-Crank sesnor- fixed no start condition last season by this same dealer.

A month ago the boat produced a trouble code for cylinder 5 injector low voltage and misfire. The boat would break up slightly under acceleration but plane out no problem and then hesitate slightly in the higher rpms. Dealer replaced the one injector and the boat now runs clean without break up under acceleration and nearly flawless in the upper rpms until intermittently you feel a very slight hesitation but you would hardly know there were any issues with the run operation. After the injector replacement the boat is now producing the random misfire trouble code still. Dealer has since replaced plugs (they were due to be replaced after this season), tried a new cap and rotor. Compression test and fuel pressure all within spec. Every other ignition component appears to check out as they've progressed through their diagnostic charts. They now say they have to reach out to Merc for further assistance to find a solution. So I open this extrememly frustrating issue up for discussion, anyone ever experience something like this before?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
This is almost certainly an electrical issue. Something isn’t getting it’s proper voltage to it or an ignition component is breaking down intermittently. If it’s always showing a miss fire on the same cylinder…I’d do two things. Change over the HT lead for another cylinders and try replicate it on that. Or check the plug on that cylinder for signs of water and colour too. I’d also check the cap again around that cylinder location on that. For a crack or lead connection issue. Check the ignition sensor wire and function too. At both ends

LWD

Seaman Apprentice
Our boat, with a 4.3 efi, randomly would miss on acceleration, then quickly progressed till it failed completely and would not restart. It was the ignition sensor.