35HP EVINRUDE IMPELLOR CHANGE

Struggler

Cadet
Re: 35HP EVINRUDE IMPELLOR CHANGE

Klondike 7/G Dane & Valv<br /><br />I was at it again tonight. Loosened all the bottom bolts again, took off the shift conn cover and undid the top bolt. Slid the gearbox and prop housing down and found the other bolt. Put everything together again ensuring the Upper shift lever was in neutral as was the gearbox. Everything connected well and I was going like a Boeing.<br /><br />Reinstalled the bolt below the carburator which backlash told me to undo. This took about an hour as it is very awkward to get there. When I took the bolt out I had to disconnect the fuel feed line from the place where the external coupling went in (on the inside of the hub) to be able to acces sthe bolt. Reassembled this and was ready to start to check everything. Pumped the bulb a couple of times and noticed that I now have a major fuel leak at the connection point but never the less filled up the garbage can with water and ensured that the water inlet veins above the prop were covered about 6" with water. Specifically didnt use earmuffs as the hose pipe pressure would push water up through the system and not show whether the new impleoor is working.<br /><br />Started her up. 2 pulls with half choke and A for away.<br /><br />But alas no water, nothing, not a drop, not even a mist !<br /><br />I can only summise that the feed pipe did not eneter the upper pipe as it should have, or maybe I need to put some silicone around the feed pipe rubber gasket to try and get a proper seal.<br /><br />If I dont get it right tommorrow night I am going to go the nearest Yamaha dealer and buy a new 50 Four Stroke. This coming weekend I am taking all my workmates on a Company outing to a place where there are more fish than people and there is no ways I am ging to be stranded on the side.<br /><br />On I go !

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Dirk,<br /><br />Nice to see a fellow Johannesburger on the site. Hope you get your motor sorted before the weekend. Where is this place with the huge fishing population? I've only struck bad luck on the water in the past few outings and would love to get stuck into a few fish.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Johan

Struggler

Cadet

Rudeafrican<br /><br />Loskop dam, on the far side at the cable, about 25km up river

Struggler

Cadet

Rude/G Dane/Valve/Seahorse/Backlash.<br /><br />Took the whole bloody thing apart again tonight, put some marine silicone sealer on the up delivery pipe, guided it in gently like a gentelman should, waited 2 hours and started up.<br /><br />Again no water, not a drop. Going to sell it tommorrow for definite.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help, very much appreciated.<br /><br />Out.

G DANE

Commander

Hi Dirk<br /><br />When you replaced the impeller - did you remember to get the little key in the driveshaft, otherwise the impeller will stand still in housing = no water. When you removed the old impeller - was every piece in pump ?? Otherwise it can block system somewhere. You will have to connect a water hose to delivery pipe and try to flush it through.<br /><br />It is possible to check with a pennlight that supply tube gets in pump housing when you assemble. Make sure water in basin covers pump housing especially on these models.

Struggler

Cadet

G Dane<br /><br />Thanks for your continued support. During the last take apart session I checked the impellor key again to ensure it was right. The impellor sat on the shaft as tight as a only a nun can. Prior to starting I also flushed with earmuffs and water came through the system.<br /><br />I however bought a 40Hp Yamaha yesterday which is being fitted to my boat to be ready by Friday for our planned fishing trip. The dealer took the Evinrude for $100-00.<br /><br />Thanks for your help, much appreciated.