35HP EVINRUDE IMPELLOR CHANGE

Struggler

Cadet
Please someone help !<br /><br />I have 35HP Evinrude that is overheating. I purchased a new impellor because the stream pissed by the existing one is misty and very weak. <br /><br />The motor is an extra long shaft and is fitted with an additional extension hub just above the cavitation plate. I lossened the 4 bolts just above the cavitation plate and have been struggling my ass off to get the shaft to drop down. I seems there is something at the top still securing the shaft. The geabox and "L" housing of the prop seems to drop down about 1" but then sticks. I noticed if I play with the forward/Reverse gearlever the "L" moves slightly up and down. Also can you perhaps advise me of where the Thermostat is situated on this Engine.<br /><br />I live in South Africa where the water is generally warm and was told by a boat shop that in our conditions it is not neccessary for a thermostat and rather than pay R 700.00 (approx $70-00 excl labour) for a new one just to take the old one out. In searching for it I took off the water jacket plate next to the block but found no thermostat.<br /><br />The Model No. is 358B63R and the serial No. B 4840.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Dirk Strachan

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 35HP EVINRUDE IMPELLOR CHANGE

Dirk,<br />You also must disconnect the shift shaft before the lower unit will drop. <br />Backlash

Struggler

Cadet

Thanks backlash, I thought so, can you pehaps explain how this is done. The shift lever has a bolt which acts like a clamp which I removed but it still doenst budge. There is also a grease nipple and a centre screw which I tried to get loose but I dont think this will help as the screw is not inline with the "shaft" so I dont think this is the culprit.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

If you look from the port side of the engine, under the carb there is a screw that holds the shift shaft to the shifting mechanism. It's not real easy to get at but that's where it is. Put one or two of the screws you've already taken out back in to hold the lower unit in place then remove the shift shaft screw and you're in business.<br />Backlash

Struggler

Cadet

Backlash thanks. Will look tommorrow morning and let u know if come right. :)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 35hp motors have the shift shaft connection behind the water pickup covers. Remove the 2 Phillips screws and the plastic covers. Then use two 1/2" wrenches to remove the jam nut. Use a pick or sharp object to pry off the tapered plastic piece from the shaft. You can then remove the gearcase.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Seahorse gives the correct method for disconnecting the shift linkage... ;)

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seahorse is correct, I just did my 25hp this afternoon, and I had to remove water inlets (both sides) used 1/2" wrenches and separated shift rod.<br /><br />It won't come off completely from unit, driveshaft will slide out from lower unit.<br /><br />WATCH OUT for impeller key, it will fall out, mine did, couldn't find it then got another spare). It's a little bit of a "pain in the ***" but you'll get it.

Struggler

Cadet

Thanks Seahorse/Snapperbait & Valv,<br /><br />I spent about 2 hours this morning trying to get the bolt below the carburator loose. Had to go and buy imperail spanners and bend a 3/8" to get it in. Got the bolt out eventually but this made no diffrence, the shaft still didnt want drop down. I will now try and loosen the water inlet covers as you suggest.<br /><br />On I go !

Struggler

Cadet

Now I am feeling very stupid and dejected !<br /><br />Where are these water inlet covers ? Are they the grooved plastic covers just above the prop where the water goes in? There are no screws here. I looked everywhere at the motor top but dont see any plastic plates, screws or the like. I think must go and buy a digital camera quickly and post pictures of the motor from every angle.

G DANE

Commander

Dirk Strachen<br /><br />Which year is your motor from ? on pre 79 models the shift shaft is seperated behind a little lid with 2 screws, half way up the leg, on left side, I think. A little bracket inside holds the two ends together. Be aware the lower bolt has to be removed completely, and upper losened.

Struggler

Cadet

Thanks G Dane. <br /><br />I know where the cover and 2 phillips screws are now. In my previous searches I took these screws out and noticed a sort of paper gasket that looks as if it surrounds the shaft. Closed it up again because I didnt know what it is for. Do you think these are the same ones Seahorse described ?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

G Dane is right about the very early 35hp models ('76-77-78) with the plate on the side of the exhaust housing that allows access to the brass shift rod connector. If you do have one of those early models, I recall a service bulletin about having to drill and tap another hole to fasten down the impeller housing. It's been a lot of years since I've worked on an early model. The instructions may be in the complete factory water pump kit.

Struggler

Cadet

Thanks Seahorse,<br /><br />Drilling and Tapping is not part of my abilities.<br /><br />So !<br /><br />FOR SALE : 1 X PARTLY DISSEMBLED 35HP "RUDE" EVINRUDE (INCLUDES BRAND NEW UNFITTED IMPELLOR)<br /><br />$1-00 or nearest cash offer !<br /><br />Purchaser to pay freight from South Africa !

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Dirk,<br />My most humble apologies for another "senior moment". I should have read your original post a little closer. :eek: <br />Backlash

G DANE

Commander

Hi Dirk<br /><br />I think its too early to quit yet. Drilling and tapping or only for installing new type pump housing, impeller is uncomplicated

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dirk, don't give up so soon !!! Gee I wish I was closer, I could help. I'd like your motor too, but shipping from your country will be more than motor value here.<br /><br />Anybody from Johannesburg, S.Africa is reading here !!!!

G DANE

Commander

Hi Dirk:<br /><br />Besides the bolts under the cavitation plate you have to remove the nut at the front, beyond the cavitation plate, under engine mount, 4 bolts and one nut, plus disassembling the shift rod, and down it goes. Please be carefull to place the copper water tube in the rubber grommet in pump housing when you assemble again.

Struggler

Cadet

Hi G Dane/Valv,<br /><br />Thanks a span for all the info ! Could'nt have done it without your guidance.<br /><br />Last night after a "couple" I decided to give it one more go.<br /><br />I found the plate with the 2 screws on the shaft housing covering the shift change conenction, loosened these bolts and Voila, down dropped the shaft. The impellor change was uneventfull. The old one was burnt to stumps only and a lot of the rubber debris was stuck in the inlet. On re assembling I moved the water pipe seal up a notch so that on re-entry into the upper water feed pipe the seal sits snugly. I must say I am worried that the lower delivery pipe might not enter into the upper pipe but go past. Difficult to judge wheter it went in or not. (Comes with age)<br /><br />Another problem arose though. On re connecting the shift rod to the connectors I did the following;<br /><br />Set gear change lever to reverse to align the connector to the housing hole.<br /><br />Pushed the lower hub (Gear housing) up to the cavitation plate whilst gently guiding the shift rod into the connector. Fitted one bolt down below to secure gear housing.<br /><br />Battled to get connecting rod into connector, played with FNR to align the rod and get the brass bolt through the connector.<br /><br />Secured bolt and replaced cover.<br /><br />Engine now is in gear in N position, and N in F position. Does not want to go into Reverse. Took down the conn plate cover again and undid the top brass bolt which then fell into housing. <br /><br />Had enough of it and went to sleep at 11'Oclock.<br /><br />Will try again tonight.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps the shift shaft coupler rotated. Did you screw it back together on the same side of the motor that you were on when you unscrewed it?<br /><br />If the coupler is rotated to the other orientation, this can prevent full motion of the shift shaft as the coupler may hit and or bind.<br /><br />DON"T GIVE UP!<br />your too close now.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!