3500# axle cap and water incursion

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
is it possible to keep water out of the axle cavity or is it just going to happen with a boat trailer? I sleeved the inner axle seal area and that seems to be working but my outer ez lube caps seem to let in water. I just checked the rubber plug and it looks like the rubber is degrading either from uv or grease from my hands. So I ordered a new stainless steel grease cap with a silicone plug and the silicone plug does not tightly seal against the axle cap. Once in place, its a loose fit.

Silicone axle capCC0CF78B-1754-4618-AC46-B8A59ED96FD5.png

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
$20 for the pair. The steel cap fits perfectly, but the silicone plug is a loose fit in the hole.

1.98 Stainless Steel Dust Cap With Yellow Silicone Plug for Posi Lube, Accu-Lube, EZ Lube Axles.​

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Explain please

will the 2” bearing buddy protector seal the ez lube caps from water? How tight is the fit

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
That plug's only job is to keep debris off the grease nipple. Has no impact on the water intrusion into the bearings.

You're going to get some water intrusion over a number of dunkings no matter what you use. I do and I have bearing buddies on my current and previous trailers. I have them repacked as part of my state required inspection.

**Yes I know how to repack them but I have (3) kids and my time is important too.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
The rubber plugs seem to be a tight fit, but dont seem to be oil resistant. I did order some 2” bearing buddy generic protectors from ebay. Just for fun, Im going to buy a can of liquid plastic dip and make some covers for an exact fit. Its the same stuff you dip tool handles into and is oil resistant.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The rubber plugs seem to be a tight fit, but dont seem to be oil resistant.
I have used the rubber plugs for year w/o any problems other than UV dry rotting them after 2-3 years of use.

I buy local and brand name (Dexter)to make sure I'm not getting a Amazon knock-offs

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought these axle covers and they fit well but not airtight. So I put two zip ties to make sure its tight. I plan to check it after each dunk in the lake.57E772D9-E775-460B-BAEB-EB1B0AC69EE2.jpeg

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I Went boating last weekend and this cap and zip ties solved the problem. Not a drop of water got in this time.