350 chevy carbureutor

andrew91

Seaman
ok so i had my boat out today and noticed hesitation when i get on the throttle i opened the hood (more of a cushion with the bench seat and of course my carb was spiting gas out the top) now my carb is a qaudrajunk i will rebuild any carb but i wont touch a qaudrajet anyone know how much they generally cost to rebuild?

NHGuy

Captain
Re: 350 chevy carbureutor

Don't do an exchange, there are a million jet and metering rod combinations. Find the crankiest oldest carb guy around. Those are the guys who know what to do.
They can also be rebuilt by someone who can take the time, I did a successful rebuild using Cliff Ruggles book and parts. cliffshighperformance.com
They are wicked complicated, but when right they are awesome.
Or you can also bolt on a new Edelbrock model 1409. They are marine setup and ready.

Last edited:

andrew91

Seaman

so is there even a difference between a marine carb and a normal carb if not my problems are solved im a ford guy but i have a brand new one laying on the shelf in my garage but if anyone knows what a shop would generally charge feel free to chime in i know you have to use marine starters and marine coils but im not positive on carbs please someone let me know im not looking to break laws

Toypirate

Seaman Apprentice

EEW! I would recommend replacing it with the edelbrock as well, I have sent quads out for rebuild and got them returned to me with the same problems, usually its too much fuel dumping through the venturies at idle, they also have sent them back with the wrong base gaskets, I have now resorted to just replacing them with the edelbrocks, you'll have to fabricate a new fuel line, redo the linkage, and possibly wire in the electric choke but that's what it is to upgrade an old carb.

The marine carbs have a separate port to allow the fuel pump diaphragm vent hose to plumb into the primary port, also they are set richer for sustained wide open throttle.

NHGuy

Captain

yah the marine carbs are not vented to atmosphere, plus they contain a vacuum input for the fuel pump tell tale. They are a little different. The manual will tell you the correct jet and metering rod sizes. If you use the right ones for the motor you're home free.
In fact the jets don't always get ruined by removal so don't get some til you need them.
There are two idle tubes that keep you out of some fuel passages, they can be removed with a ground down deck screw. I did that and replaced them, the removal ruins them. But the both new were $8.
Make sure to put a vacuum tester on the choke pulloff. When failed that's a vacuum leak along with a bogging motor at wide open. At full throttle it slows the opening of the secondary air doors so the carb will get the fuel from the secondary acceleration wells efficiently.

andrew91

Seaman

Don't do an exchange, there are a million jet and metering rod combinations. Find the crankiest oldest carb guy around. Those are the guys who know what to do.
They can also be rebuilt by someone who can take the time, I did a successful rebuild using Cliff Ruggles book and parts. cliffshighperformance.com
They are wicked complicated, but when right they are awesome.
Or you can also bolt on a new Edelbrock model 1409. They are marine setup and ready.

Lol your a braver man than I I've seen diagrams and they are stupid complicated

NHGuy

Captain

I did it over the winter to keep from sitting in front of the TV ingesting calories.

andrew91

Seaman

I just dont want to go to the trouble of going through wiring in an electric choke or redoing the linkage i would rather go fuel injection but thats money i dont have right now

cr2k

Captain

Automotive carb are NOT compatible with marine engines. They look the same but are different. Jetting, metering, accelerator pump, The port for the fuel pump "tell tale" is not a vacuum port but just a port to the air horn to put the fuel if the fuel pump goes bad. A marine carb has NO external vacuum ports. An automotive carb can cause an explosion and will not run right even if it's in best of condition.

A Qjet is not really that hard to rebuild. Unless you screw up the linkage it should not need any adjusting. You do need compressed air and some fine wires to do the job right.

broncojeff78

Seaman

I just finished rebuilding my quadrajet. The kit was 20 bucks and it wasn't all that difficult. I watched a series of videos on youtube (Rochester Quadrajet Marine Carburetor Rebuild Part 1 of 3 - YouTube) and was pretty confident to handle it. I had some trash and corrosion inside and I used some aluminum brightener (acid) to clean out the corrosion and it worked better than I thought. I didn't let it sit on there longer than I had too then promptly cleaned it out with carb cleaner. I double and triple checked that every little hole was clean and blown out with air. I checked the float level and made a small adjustment to that but otherwise didn't adjust anything else. I just finished a couple hours ago and will know tomorrow how it works. If I had the money I might upgrade to an edelbrock marine carb as I have had great luck with them in the past on cars but hopefully the cheap rebuild gets me on the water.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Quads are a little more complicated than Holleys but a "cranky old guy" like us can (or used to be able to) do them in my sleep. However rebuilding and PROPERLY cleaning all of the itty bitty teensy holes and passages in these things can be challenging and that's why you "Get them back with the same problems". But cleaning and replacing parts is only part of the process. Setting it up properly and adjusting it are equally important. I've had customers cussing me out because "It's still doing the same thing!" only to find out they failed to adjust the secondary restrictor flap. As Broncojeff says lots of great info on Youtube.

andrew91

Seaman

alright guys so im wondering in the ballpark where are we at as far as price on a rebuild but i may try to tackle it they just look rediculous holley are my prefered carb but im looking to be back on the water next weekend so i really dont want to rebuild a carb linkage ive watched my old man crank out a tripower intake the whole works in 10 hours i know its doable to drop off on tuesday and pick up on friday