35 hp Johnson Lean Sneeze / Pop causes

Rick.

Captain
Re: 35 hp Johnson Lean Sneeze / Pop causes

You said you couldn't get the high idle screw out. Why not? If you truly cannot get it out try spraying your WD40 there and see if that gives you a temporary seal for an air leak.
I haven't seen where you have done a spark test on your plugs. That could be the reason for your wet plug. I know the internal combustion engine is a freak show but hang in there. When you get it working you'll be that much more gratified. Best of luck. Rick.

mato0010

Seaman Apprentice

Rick,
I got it working properly. See post of update on 6/21 @ 9:30am. It was either a cracked fuel hose or throttle valve not fully closing which was causing the improper air/fuel mixture. Plus there was a lot of other things that needed or would eventually have needed replacement which I wouldnt have found out if I hadnt done the rebuild. Piston scoring, some seals that were not in good shape, and pretty much everything dealing with cooling system needed to be replaced because of damage from overheating. All is back together and working good. Now I practically have a new motor ready to be broken in.

sailfish

Cadet

You've certainly put some work into her!! I'm having a similar issue but would like to avoid a rebuild and just find out how to make the throttle adjustment you referred to. Can you please let me know how this is done? (I've already replaced the fuel hoses.)

Cheers, Tom

mato0010

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I havent gotten back to you in regards to your question but better late than never. There is an arm and screw holding the arm on the side of the carburetor which controls the intake valve inside the carb throat. All I did was make sure my throttle at my control counsel was brought all the way back. At that point the valve inside the carb throat should be fully closed. Mine wasnt so I loosened the screw that held that valve open until it fully closed and then retightened. Thats it. Hope that helps. Before then what was happening was that valve was staying slightly open causing too much air to enter and causing it to sneeze. Good luck.

oneneo3

Recruit

Thanks mato0010 for posting up all the details of your re-build and videos and pictures. This was a good read and has given me some ideas regarding my problems. Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes you would. Had it happen to me personally.