35 hp force outboard engine issues please help

Jasindude1

Cadet
First off the boat is new to me, 88 Bass Buggy with 35hp Force engine. Took to the lake and spent a lot of time tuning it, after the 1st day i noticed the wrong plugs were in it, those have been replaced, noticed the choke solenoid doesnt work, but from my understanding this is just a start choke its not an auto choke,(it slowly opens as the engine warms) if anyone can give me any insight on this. The intake flap i noticed looked mostly closed like /, i would try to rea-adjust to where it was horizontal and it would idle fine, but when put into gear it would die at high speeds. anyways i tuned it several times, everytime i think i had it dialed in, it would run good and then like an hour later after being anchored to fish it wouldnt start or would act up, i cleaned the carb, fresh fuel, added seafoam additive, synthetic oil 50:1 ratio, i added 91 octane fuel. If i can get some help on what i should check or be checking, i adjusted the idle and it was too high in neutral so since decreased it. Seems to be smooth once i get it running, but when we left it seemed to start right up and drive great back to the dock but when i went to get the truck the wife went to start it and it would die when she tried to put it in gear, does it need to be adjusted? also is it ok to let the engine idle for a while? sorry if my post is all over the place, this is my 1st boat, im pretty comfortable with wiring and tuning 2 stroke engines from building race quads, but this outboard seems to be a different animal and i have been told they are notoriously finicky.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I see you are new here so you may not know there is a forum dedicated to Force engines. As your questions are about the engine more than the boat it powers, you'd likely get quicker and better answers there: Force

Douglas32

Recruit
The problem with force engines where they were put on cheap low tier boats that were used two or three times a season with no maintenance. I have had two force motors that I couldn't kill. Cheap and easy to maintain and very reliable. Just use good fuel and keep up on the maintenance and you'll be happy with it as long as you get it cheap.