305 to 350 build questions

gr8shot

Seaman
Carb spacer is a success! Took the boat out fishing last night, I didn't run it hard at all. We mostly just putted around to a few different spots at 1500 rpm or so. But at each spot we stopped and fished for 30 minutes to an hour. And it restarted great! No need to even touch the throttle to get it to restart now. Before it wouldn't even think to fire until I held it wide open. So definitely $25 well spent.

Also changed the oil the day before. And realized I have a fairly significant oil or power steering fluid leak, one of the two. Both fluids seem about the same color, so I'll have to dig into it more and see what I find. Going to be kicking myself if it's a seal on the engine, considering the whole engine only has maybe 15 hours on it now. And there would be nobody to blame but myself for installation error. Sigh. It really never does end when you own a boat I guess.

gr8shot

Seaman
Well the first season on the new motor is in the books. Winterized last week, and put away for the year. Ended up putting 48 hours of run time on the new motor. Really have nothing much to complain about! I think the oil leak is the front crank seal. I might buy a new balancer and see if it'll seal up better before I worry about going deeper than that. But the family and I spent a ton of time at the lake this season. At least once a week, often times twice a week. We spend as much or more time sitting with the boat off (fishing or swimming) than we do running the boat. So for us that's a lot of time spent on the water!

The motor itself never missed a beat even once. Started up great all season long, ran nice and smooth all season long, and stood up to everything I threw at it, from 7-8 adults, and pulling kids in tubes, to full throttle, 5,000rpm blasts across the lake, to just idling around with the wife and kids.

Next spring I will probably take it out for the first time, then bring it home and change out the oil and send in an oil sample to see how it comes back. But other than that, I think we can chalk this one up as a success!