30 year old TV

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
As the title says, I find myself with a working 19" color TV made by Panasonic in July, 1984. I just found the original owner's manual in perfect condition.
It has been in continual use nearly every day and works fine. Color takes a minute to settle in...There's a metal mesh on the front where all the color has been rubbed off from frequent use...
Think there would be any value to it????

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: 30 year old TV

Target practice, there will never be a collectors edition of a "Modern" TV

Yes, I did edit this message!

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

......Think there would be any value to it????.....

You'll be lucky if they do not charge you to dispose of it!! I have, in my garage, the last of, latest and greatest 36" Sony Wega Trinitron Flat screen CRT TV, w/ stand. It was only used for one year before my FIL gave us a 50" Toshiba Rear Projection TV. (still using that toshiba and it was used when we got it in 2005).

I cannot give that Sony away. It is huge. It is heavy. I think the front flat screen is about 3/4" thick. If I cannot give mine away, what hope is there for you???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This one is collectible-

antique-tv.jpg

Only because it's unique.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

It may be collectible someday. We still watch a 70 something floor model in the bedroom. Just had to buy the box to go digital.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Last summer, I took 3 perfectly working CRT TV's into the local electronics recycling depot. No charge. I think they may have given me about $4 based on weight. Seems a shame, but who wants yesterday's electronics? - Grandad

bassman284

Commander

I had a 27" Wega that I got rid of last year. That brute weighed over 100 lbs. I had to recruit a younger and healthier friend to help me carry it downstairs. It wasn't just the weight, it was so darn big I couldn't get my arms around it. Our town has a spring cleanup every April where they will dispose of anything you can haul in at no charge.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you could tape a quarter to it before throwing it out... Obviously a tube model and most tubes are extremely hard to come by if at all. Those old tube TVs were built to service, but not anymore. And the newer TVs are throw away items when they stop working. Cost more to repair then just buying a new one now.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My ex-wife's great grandfather invented electronic television in 1927. Wonder what his tv is worth ?.....lol

WIMUSKY

Staff member

As the title says, I find myself with a working 19" color TV made by Panasonic in July, 1984. I just found the original owner's manual in perfect condition.
It has been in continual use nearly every day and works fine. Color takes a minute to settle in...There's a metal mesh on the front where all the color has been rubbed off from frequent use...
Think there would be any value to it????

We have 19" RCA tv that my wife had in college, around the same year. The pic is perfect. I'm waiting for it to die so I can get a wide screen. But as mentioned, they're worthless. I think we have to pay to dispose of tvs. Putting a free sign on stuff works wonders. But usually except for tvs. They're so cheap now nobody wants a used one...

I had a 27" Wega that I got rid of last year. That brute weighed over 100 lbs. I had to recruit a younger and healthier friend to help me carry it downstairs. It wasn't just the weight, it was so darn big I couldn't get my arms around it. Our town has a spring cleanup every April where they will dispose of anything you can haul in at no charge.

We have a 27" Sony WEGA Trinitron too. About 14yrs old. Probably will last for a long time. Also a 35" Mitsu CRT. I just can't get myself to get rid of perfectly good working tvs just to have the latest and greatest. I must be getting old, I'm starting to sound like my parents.

My wife is waiting for the little RCA's cord to be cut one of these days however.:laugh:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

..... The pic is perfect. I'm waiting for it to die so I can get a wide screen....... I just can't get myself to get rid of perfectly good working tvs just to have the latest and greatest. .....

Yep, same here. I was never one to jump on the latest gimmick unless what I had did not serve. The Mrs. would have me trashing a perfectly good TV, for a sizable expenditure, that might give you a few percent better picture, then not last as long as the last iteration of TV's.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The last hard screen model I had was a 35 inch and I got rid of it with no problem, we were running the local garage sales one Saturday and I had it in the back of the van, I had purchased an old computer for $5.00 and when I opened the back of the van to load the puter up the guy I bought it from asked me about it, worked out great, he gave me my $5.00 back and took the TV in trade.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Nope, all solid-state; only tube would be the picture tube by 1984.
Yep, I actually had a 1984 Panasonic 19". It got thrown away years ago and it still worked!